• Empricorn@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Power banks. I’m a huge proponent of them because it solves this problem while also not keeping you stuck at an outlet somewhere.

You can charge the portable power bank at any USB port: computer, wall USB, airport, clock radio, airplane, vehicle, public kiosk, etc. Then it’ll keep a charge for weeks and allow you to charge your devices anywhere. And because it doesn’t have storage capability at all, you’ll never be susceptible to this kind of attack…

• jmcs
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Is there any evidence that this kind of attack has ever been used?

• FireTower@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I’m pretty sure that the FBI issued the warning just intended on posting a cyber security best practice every day people could use. Then the media latched onto it as if it was an emergency announcement.

• jmcs
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Cargo culting security in a way that decreases convenience makes people less likely to follow security advice that mitigates an actual threat. Spending good will credit on far-fetched threats is foolish.

• Case@lemmynsfw.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Yes, but no.

It has been executed as a proof of concept, but security is part of my job and I haven’t heard of it being used in a real world example… if it did, my boss would have sent out a company wide blast.