• nickwitha_k (he/him)@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Sure but I’m not sure that most HR management software companies are going to be keen on handing over source for you to review.

5/7 Software package is pure garbage. Tim forgot to remove his TODO comment from line 1052 of main and there are three instances of inconsistent indentation in the API module. Therefore, our automation pipeline has marked our own employees as “needs improvement”.

• Fushuan [he/him]@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

It’s annoying to be the weird one that rewrites all the code on the files I touch because I bothered to press format. Then someone forgets to pull before changing the code and suddenly the merge is not fast forward and the conflict resolution is a mess. It’s not that big of a deal, for me a t least, but when i format the code it’s 3 other dumbasses that get conflicts, and sometimes I just can’t bother enough to fix their issues because I took care of formatting it once.

Nowadays I use an opinionated linter, format my stuff and call it a day.

• nickwitha_k (he/him)@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

I loathe linter errors. If you know that I did it wrong and how, just fix it and stop wasting everyone’s time. That’s why I’m in favor of opinionated formatters in the per-commit automation. No point in wasting everyone’s time and making silly merge conflicts possible.

• souperk@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

last week I had misconfigured my auto-format and it was leaving commas and whitespaces. The amount of “WHAT HAVE YOU DONE???” comments I got were of the chart.

There was a linter in place, I literally could not merge unless the issues were fixed, yet people felt compelled to point them out.