• UprisingVoltage@feddit.it
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Honestly yeah. There’s been some controversies in the past, but for someone who’s looking for a zero-effort way to browse privately and support the privacy scene (DDG donates a lot of money) it’s a great choice. Wouldn’t recommend their browser/extensions though

• CrypticCoffee@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Definitely would agree with this. The best of a bad bunch. I use it for nearly all my search.

Did see some sketchy stuff with the android app/browser so probably would avoid… and besides, I’m in a decades long relationship with firefox <3.

• janonymous@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Do you use Firefox on mobile as well? I use the DDG browser and don’t whether I should switch. Haven’t heard what exactly is wrong with it, yet.

• FippleStone@aussie.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I use Firefox almost exclusively on android and have nothing but glowing praise for it, it’s a solid experience

• CrypticCoffee@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Firefox for Android is great, and after some initial teething problems, it’s been solid for a long time.

I remember seeing on reddit a story about a guy who created something and I think suggested DDG stole some of his work and packaged it up as their own. I cannot find it anymore, but remember seeing it at the time and it seemed convincing (even though I was using DDG search and was a fan of their work). I still use them, but not for everything and I remain skeptical. FF is open source, and has been pretty trustworthy for a long time imho.

• inspxtr@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Just a note, the last time I used DDG browser on android while on VPN, the browser had some IP address leak. Not sure whether they fixed it.

• UprisingVoltage@feddit.it
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Exactly, there’s just no reason to use anything other than firefox on desktop

On mobile IN MY EXPERIENCE Firefox has always been unbearably slow. I’ve tried everything: getting it from play store, F-Droid and github, using the beta and nightly version, tried it with and without extensions: it sometimes took 10+ seconds to load some pages, I don’t know why. It’s been like this on other smartphone models too.

That’s why I use brave from mobile, it’s blazing fast and it has a lot of nice features, starting from the amazing bottom bar to their solid integrated adblocker and dark mode.

• cucumberbob@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’m OOTL on DDG donations? What kinds of projects/people do they donate to, and how does that benefit pirates?

• bl4kers@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Compared to Chrome their browser is probably better for privacy and also zero-effort, if you can get past the lack of features. I think using it as a private/incognito window is pretty feasible, but yeah, it’s hard to recommend as a default browser

• WarmSoda@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I use it as my default phone browser. I like it just because it doesn’t have any history at all unless you whitelist a site (they call it fireproofing). Not that I don’t want anyone to see what I’ve looked at on the internet, but because I don’t care what I’ve already seen.

The other browsers, and especially searches, all pop up your most recent searches. They keep a history of it. Even fucking wikipedia does it. It’s annoying. DDG is just simply there, and that’s a great experience for me when I browse.

All the privacy stuff went out the window years ago. I’m not concerned with all that.

• stonemilker
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Their privacy policy and data flow have been the same since the buyout, they were transparent about any implications and the mitigations put in place to protect users, so I’m alright with it. The biggest problem I have with them is sometimes getting rate-limited because of a VPN or Tor, but that’s it. Alternatives like DDG and Brave Search are usually bad for results in my native language, so I’ve been using Startpage for a couple years now and it’s nice

• FarLine99@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

For me Brave search has pretty good results. Not as Google, of course, but enough. Definetly better than DDG.

• Rooki@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Its not about how good. How much privacy. Brave search is worse then DDG in all ways and form. Bad Search Results, Weird to get and read Privacy Policy???, Brave had at sometime a crypto miner in it.

• FarLine99@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I don’t know why you have problem with Brave Search Privacy. They do log operating system and browser version. Is that scary? You can easily bypass this f.e. by using Chameleon Firefox extension.

• dan@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I think they mostly handled it well, and ultimately the situation was resolved, but I still think they should have been a lot more up front about what they were doing.

• FIST_FILLET@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

NO.

1. it is US-based
    2. the CEO is the former founder of the “Names Database”

for the love of god, use anything but DDG. Qwant is EU-based and has decent results, SearX is another one which lets you choose between instances (or host your own).

please stop taking US “privacy” services seriously. i was hoping people would know better on here, compared to reddit

• NicoCharrua@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

You can also use ddg.gg which is even shorter!

And you don’t even need to go the website homepage, just type something like ddg.gg/search promt and it’ll give you results straight away.

This is great even if you use a different search engine because you can use !bangs without needing to go through another webpage.

• candle_lighter@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Yeah but I find their search results aren’t as good an non-private options like Google. So I’ve always preferred search private engines that provide Google results. Startpage is a great one but if you want one that is open source LibreX is excellent and is better than other FOSS search engines like SearX and Whoogle IMO.

• Thomas Gray@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Google’s search monopoly is hurting the Internet generally speaking by stifling innovation and pushing normal users into it’s ecosystem by paying companies like Apple billions to make it the default search.

https://www.makeuseof.com/why-google-pays-apple-billions-of-dollars/

My grandmother has been using Google everyday for a decade on her iPhone and didn’t even know until I changed the default settings. We need competitors in this space to make the internet a better place and using any search engine that relies completely on Google’s SEO is perpetuating their market dominance. Hopefully, Google pulls a Reddit like move and makes it ridiculously expensive to access their search services, the way they’re currently experimenting with YT ad blocking.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/92181/youtube-to-disable-video-playback-for-accounts-caught-too-many-times-with-ad-blockers/index.html

Then competitors will have to move away from Google’s evil empire making life better for everyone.

• JoelJ@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

You know I’ve been using both DDG and google for years, google on my work computer and DDG at home. I too have found google is a little better, but the past few weeks at work I’ve have occasionally found the google results insufficient, so I’ve tried DDG on a whim and it’s actually given me better results!

• Milk@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

DDG was known as the best option for search engines but then they started talking of censoring stuff and also it has Microsoft trackers and other problems. Yes, it is still better than Google, Bing and Yandex when talking of privacy but with search engines like Qwant and specially SearX (SearXNG) there’s no reason to use DDG over these.

• DocBarkowitz@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

No.

I run a private instance of searxng on a cloud provider. If you have the know how to run Docker or are looking for a reason to learn it’s a pretty painless setup.

Searxng is a meta search engine that aggregates results from a lot of different search engines. You have the ability to configure which search engines it will use. For example you can have it aggregate results from Google, bing, yahoo, brave, DDG, startpage, and quant. You have a layer of abstraction between you and those services providing you extra privacy.

You can run an instance on your laptop/desktop and access it locally which gives ok privacy and protects from JS and other browser level tracking. Problem is your IP can still be correlated to others in the same network who use google or w/e. Also makes accessing from your phone and other devices a bit more difficult especially outside of your LAN as you’ll need to poke a hole through your firewall and use Dynamic DNS for reliable access while mobile.

Another option with better privacy is to run the instance in a public cloud provider like AWS, digital ocean, Linode, etc. This way Google, bing, yahoo, and other search engines just see the IP of your cloud instance making requests. It also makes mobile access easier since your instance will have a static IP that you can assign a DNS name to.

In both cases you can use Caddy as a reverse proxy to serve as the public endpoint. Caddy allows you to easily set up TLS/HTTPS without paying for a certificate.

https://github.com/searxng/searxng

• Kissaki@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

You elaborated a lot on your alternative setup but not at all why ddg is not good enough for you or in general.

• DocBarkowitz@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Fair point. Because I don’t have control over my information when directly utilizing a service that I do not own. I don’t trust DDG or any search engine to honor their commitments. In the specific case of DDG they are basically a proxy for Microsoft ad syndication and any of the tracking that comes along with that.

Also back to why I prefer searxng over any single search engine. If one engine decides to censor results, chances are all of them have not and searxng will combine results from all of them so it helps mitigate censorship.

My decision to use searxng while is in part due to DDG being in bed with Microsoft, ultimately it’s due to the entire search engine ecosystem being sketchy.

• DocBarkowitz@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Fair point. Because I don’t have control over my information when directly utilizing a service that I do not own. I don’t trust DDG or any search engine to honor their commitments. In the specific case of DDG they are basically a proxy for Microsoft ad syndication and any of the tracking that comes along with that.

Also back to why I prefer searxng over any single search engine. If one engine decides to censor results, chances are all of them have not and searxng will combine results from all of them so it helps mitigate censorship.

My decision to use searxng is in part due to DDG being in bed with Microsoft, ultimately it’s due to the entire search engine ecosystem being sketchy.

• TheButtonJustSpins@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Two questions:

1. If you use someone else’s searxng instance, they could potentially insert whatever they want into the search results, right?
      2. If I wanted to run my own so I know that’s not happening, would Oracle Free Tier be an okay place to put it?
      • DocBarkowitz@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

For #1 theoretically yes they could likely also censor results. This would mean they modified/forked searxng to do so since as far as I know there is no “feature” implemented that lets the admin modify search results beyond configuring which search engines are queried.

For #2 I’m not sure what oracle’s free tier looks like but I guess if it’s free you could give it a shot. I’d say you probably want a VM with at least 1GB of ram and then limit the searxng container to 512MB of ram in docker. 1GB might be tight with the other services that run with it like redis and a reverse proxy like Caddy or NGINX, but could probably be done. I’m using a 2 core 4GB RAM instance and it has plenty of headroom that allows me to self host other small services.This small implementation is obviously sized to be used on a small scale that maybe you and your family and friends use privately, a more public instance would obviously require more resources.

• Mario Bariša@vlemmy.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

It is not perfect, but its a good balance in terms of privacy and search results. If you have a high treath model consider making your own self hosted searx search engine ( while using tor if needed ) to further enhance your privacy

• Prunebutt@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’m curious: Isn’t Searx(ng) a bit less useful if you’re the only person using it? I thought that pooling of searches make it harder to run targetting algorithms.

• QuazarOmega@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Exactly, one can self host if they want, but if their aim is to limit user profiling, they should absolutely make their instance public so they can get mixed traffic through it

• oldfart@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It works great with VPNs, Tor, or with JS disabled. It does not store tracking cookies. As long as you don’t let them know who you are,it’s privacy is good enough

• Postis1@lemmy.ml
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

No wtf. If you use tor and searx you will not look like everyone else. The whole point of tor is to make everybody look the same. The only configuration in tor that should be made is the security setting

• Mario Bariša@vlemmy.net
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

There is a difference if you want to make yourself look like everyone by design or if you use Tor, if you use Tor your real identity can not be traced back to you so there is no point in making yourself look like everyone else. But then again this is only for individuals that have high-threat models.

• Postis1@lemmy.ml
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Torproject themself does not recommend changeing settings since it makes you stand out. It is much worse if you are self hosting searx and using it in tor since searx is then linked to you since you are selfhosting it.

• XTL@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

This comment is worded very optimistic. There are plenty of ways to leak your identity using tor. Or any other tech for that matter.

• Postis1@lemmy.ml
            cake
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 year ago

Yeah so there is no reason to make it worse. Torproject themself does not recommend changeing settings It will make you stand out.

• lemmychatwitpeeps@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

For the good balance between privacy and search results i prefer brave over ddg. It gives better results imo. Still use ddg for images

• themizarkshow@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It’s not perfect, but it’s way better for privacy than Google and looks a million times better than Bing. Sometimes the middle path is the best you can hope for / ask of others.

• dan@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I use it everywhere but the search results are… variable. However it’s plenty good enough for most situations.

I still switch back to Google if I’m not finding what I want (using DDG’s !g keyword, which is pretty helpful - just add that anywhere in a search and it’ll send you to Google), but at least I’m only doing that when I’m aware of it.

• Black616Angel
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Use !s for startpage! It’s essentially a Google proxy with more privacy.

• _pete_@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I haven’t had this issue for a long time now, I’ve maybe done a Google search once in the last year and the results from it weren’t any better than those from DDG, plus the amount of excess shit on a Google SERP makes them utterly useless you are looking for the exact thing they’ve built a page for.

• svamp@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Didn’t DDG get caught allowing some Microsoft tracking and blocking some search results a couple of years back? Personally I use Firefox and starpage as a search engine.

• codenul@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Check out Mull browser. There’s mobile version as well for desktops. Its lightweight Firefox without any of the telemetry.

• snek_boi@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Thanks for the recommendation. I wonder if you’re confusing the DuckDuckGo browser with the DuckDuckGo search engine. I am assuming the post is about the search engine 🙃

• rikonium
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I ditched it after it dropped the operators like quotes, “OR”, “AND”, and “-” which hampers it’s usefulness to me.