while upgrading the inner bottom left screw stripped…and nothing helped rubberband, superglue, nothing. Fkin hell a single screw is screwing with my plans

• ColeSloth
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Superglue will work. You just have to do it right. Take a bit of iso alcohol and an old toothbrush and clean the screw off. Take a bit of fine sandpaper and scuff up the screwdriver bit and then clean it with iso as well.

Then add a tiny bit of glue to the driver and a tiny bit to the screw. Then wait 1 minute, push the bit into the screw down hard, and leave it be for 30 minutes before turning.

This is much easier to leave balanced for that 30 minutes if you have just a bit and not the whole screwdriver to leave balanced.

• Varyk@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

How did you apply the super glue?

This is difficult since obviously you don’t want to apply too much pressure on delicate electronics, but I have dealt with many strips, screws in cabinets and have a pretty good success rate, although one time using super glue, I just used a sacrificial crappy screwdriver, and had to end up holding the screwdriver to the screw with pressure. Applying super glue, and holding the sacrificial screwdriver with pressure for 10 minutes until I was sure it had bonded, but with such small margins of screw to a back plate and such a thin screwdriver, I’m not sure that will work with your deck.

If you have any access to the screw at all and play between the back plate and the casing, there are very thin hacksaw blades you could buy from a home improvement store and you could manually cut through the top of the screw and then use needle nose pliers to unscrew the bottom of the screw from its setting, since you should have some threads sticking out of the setting.

Can you throw up a couple pictures?

Best of luck, I hope my explanations are in vain and you’ve already solved it.

• Contramuffin@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Superglue becomes brittle when frozen. Instead of sacrificing a screwdriver, you could try freezing the screwdriver and maybe you could snap the superglue off afterward

• Varyk@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Oh, I just used sandpaper for a very long time haha, but that’s good to know about it being brittle when frozen.

Thank you. I will keep that in mind next time.

• nezbyte@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Try cutting a slot in the top of the screw. I use a small rotary tool with a cutoff wheel at low speeds, but a hand file would work too. Then you can use a normal slotted screwdriver with the screw.