Q1: What is the model/type of your monitor and would you recommend it?

Q2: Does your monitor support native PIP/PBP (and convenient on the fly switching) without software?

Q3: Does The PIP/PBP function of your monitor require 2 sources? Can this be the same source?

Q+: For the advanced users, can i control PIP/PBP with tools like these? linux tool / Windows tool

Context: I have been a dual monitor enthusiast ever since i found an old unused CRT monitor on my parents attic. This has since been a core part of how i use computers. Currently i am rocking a standard 1440p main monitor and a vertical (16:10 FTW) 1050p one. My reliance on needing more screen space then my peers goes as far as my job having to purchase me an extra monitor as part of my disability package.

I have seen ultra wide monitors IRL and i absolutely love them, but for a matter of fact buying one means no more space for any others. That’s why i am so interested on the PIP feature but stores rarely ever mention them.

I know that for 90% i wont even need to use that feature, but if i play a video full-screen, or a game (some really do not like windowed mode) and i cant use my virtual buttons/display features/something completely different on the side i am gonna regret my decision big time.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

• webghost0101@lemmy.fmhy.mlOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I am pretty new to linux so i didnt know about xrandr. I’ve spend the last hour trying to get this to work just to split my 1440 monitor in 2 parts as a test. If i can get that to work than it would solve all my worries in an instant because i could just write a script to have it however i want with no extra cables attached. I haven’t gotten it to work though and even Gpt-4 admits xrandr can be rather finicky. Thanks for the tip though, i am not done trying.