• elouboub@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Lol, a car industry that hasn’t innovated in years is suddenly threatened by innovation. Still, fuck cars. We should make them nigh obsolete with better public transport.

• vivavideri@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

I love cars. Fixing them is a pain in the ass but a fun challenge. Driving them can be fun, too. But, I think I’d love some kickass, efficient, abundant, affordable public transportation even more.

God. We could have had it by now. It’d be so rad. But no.

• Moneo@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            9 months ago

Cars are fascinating from an engineering perspective, can be a neat hobby, and are useful in many scenarios. None of this makes me feel any better when I’m walking home from the bus stop, choking on exhaust and feeling unsafe as I quadruple check both ways before stepping on to the street.

Cars can be cool, but they are mostly fucking awful in pretty much every way imaginable.

Also my original comment was obviously a joke and not an attempt at a serious discussion about the pros and cars of cars.

• Sarcastik@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Chinese affordable EVs with an infotainment system that represents tech from the last 5 years.

• elouboub@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Car batteries you can swap by hand in a few minutes without going to the shop, reverse charging (a car battery can power your home for a while), face scanning tech to ensure you aren’t distracted by your phone, capacitive door handles, resistive car doors that limit how far you can open them if there’s an obstacle in order no to scratch the doors, intercar communication, and that’s what I picked up from watching a video for a few minutes.

BYD added a few thousand patents since 2011 and that’s just one of the car companies. They have played around with designs, materials, and much more. IINM they are also working on solid state batteries.

And of course modernising the supply chains and making it possible even produce a car cheaply, quickly, and better quality than a Tesla. If that isn’t innovation for you, then I don’t know what is.

• David_Eight@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              9 months ago

Those are all things that I’ve seen on Western made cars, are you claiming that they where invented by Chinese car manufacturer? Like swappable ev batteries had been around since 2000, the reason most manufacturers don’t offer this feature is because they weigh 1000+ lbs. You’re not swapping that by hand in a couple of minutes. Can you please leave the link to the video you watched?

Where did BYD file these patients, in China? Are these patients that came from BYDs partnership with Mercedes that started in 2010?

How did they modernise the supply chain exactly? Is the lower price not just a reflection of cheaper labor and worse quality cars. What review said the quality is better than Tesla? Also idk if you’re aware but Tesla has the worst quality of any Western car manufacturer, literally dead last, so that claim isn’t even very impressive lol.