I need a wireless controller for my linux laptop (Kubuntu 23.04).

I don’t care how it connects (bluetooth dongle). I just want one that works. The most intense game I play is stardew valley.

• d3Xt3r@lemmy.nz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

8Bitdo Ultimate Bluetooth. I use it with the included dongle and it works just fine on my distro (Nobara). Kubuntu should also be fine I guess, just make sure you’re on a recent kernel (6.3+)

The main reason why I’d recommend this over others is that it has built-in macros - which is really handy for some games where you may need to press a complicated button sequence (like in fighting games), and of course, it also has the classic “turbo” feature which is handy for platformers.

The other reason is that the controller also works great with the Nintendo Switch as well as Android, so if you ever decide to game on these platforms you can reuse the same controller.

Edit: I just remembered that when I first got mine, I needed to update the firmware to get it to work correctly. You’ll need to update the firmware on both the receiver (v1.03) and the controller (v1.05). You’ll need to do this one at a time (update the receiver first, disconnect it, then connect the controller directly via USB and update it). Unfortunately the firmware updater tool works only in Windows or macOS, so that’s one drawback I guess. But maybe in the future it could get updated via LVFS/fwupd.

• lemmy___user@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I will second this. For sure spend the extra dough on the Bluetooth version, since that one comes with HAL sticks, so it should be much more resistant to drift. Great controller, very comfortable and I dig that it has the option to use a dedicated dongle.

• asexualchangeling@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I never got to try it, but ever sense getting the SteamDeck I’ve really wanted them to come out with a steam controller 2, that has all the inputs of the Deck

• 0ops@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

I used to have a couple steam controllers, but they had a weird shape to them. I could never figure out how to hold them comfortably. They seem to have figured it out with the steam deck though - mine is plenty comfortable. If valve releases a controller that’s basically the steam deck without a screen I swear to god I’ll be the first in line.

• JustEnoughDucks@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Depends on hand size maybe? The steam controller for me and one of my friends was simply instantly completely comfortable. Something like dual shocks are way too small and give hand cramps. SC feels like it was made for my hands lol

• 0ops@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

I’m sure it does. You’re not the first person I’ve heard say that the steam controller was the only one that felt right. My hands are medium size, if anything on the small side, I’m right in the steam deck/Xbox controller zone

• hiddengoat@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I would jizz through the roof if they did that. I have repetitive stress injuries that massively limit my gaming and the touchpads are a godsend in first person games. I set it up to act like a trackball with inertia so instead of holding a direction to turn I could just flick that way and “catch” it when it got to the right spot. Seems like a PITA but after about five minutes you completely forget it was ever weird.

Mix that in with the motion control and you can get really accurate shooting.

When I had a Deck I set it up the same way and… yeah, perfection. Just chop the middle out of the Deck and give it to me, baby. Uh huh. Uh huh.

• raven [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Can’t believe Nintendo didn’t make these for the switch angery you could have had one on each side it’s so perfect.

• antimongo@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Can’t comment on Linux compatibility. But on my windows PC I use a Gulikit King Kong 2 Pro. Really like it so far, no major issues, pretty good battery life.

• flashgnash@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

The new 8bitdo one with hall effect joysticks is very nice. Has both Bluetooth and a wireless dongle and there’s a hardware switch on the back so you can switch between them on the fly (meaning you can connect two devices and easily switch between)

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I haven’t had any issues with my DS4s (PS4 controllers), and I’ve heard good things about DS5s. I’ve also used XBox 360 controllers with a dongle.

You could also look for Stadia controllers in case you can find a good deal. Stadia was discontinued, but they can be updated to work like regular controllers, at least through the end of the year. I don’t have any direct experience with them though.

• azenyr@lemmy.pt
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

If you have bluetooth on your PC you can use any Xbox controller (from Xbox One up). They are the perfect standard. Grab some rechargeable double As and the controller will last literally forever and is compatible with everything. Or a battery pack even from third party brands. I know many people complain about it using double As but its actually a great thing, double As last 20x longer than any battery and you can use rechargeable ones and don’t worry about your controller dying as it ages.

• conciselyverbose@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

If it doesn’t bug you, more power to you. Maybe it’s because you’re playing a racing game where an input doesn’t immediately hit the screen anyways. Hitting the gas takes time to accelerate, steering is about gradually modifying your lines, etc.

But it’s definitely there, in both windows and Linux.

• lemmyvore@feddit.nl
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

Sim racers are pretty demanding on reaction time, rally in particular, where all controls have to work instantly (including gear shift, handbrake and clutch).

Also, what else am I going to play on controller? Racing and platformers are the most demanding games for it, I’m not going to play shooters with controller. 🙂

• azenyr@lemmy.pt
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

This is mostly a myth with modern controllers. Either your pc Bluetooth is very old, or you are using very old controllers. Modern bluetooth controllers connected to modern bluetooth receivers do not give any noticeable latency.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

No, I am not. I have used the current Xbox controllers on both windows and Linux on multiple modern systems with Bluetooth and they’re completely unusable without the dongle every single time. I’ve never had anyone not notice.

The latency is obscene.

• WigglyTortoise
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

Out of curiosity, are you using WiFi, and what frequency?

A little while ago I had an issue where my controller would interfere with my 2.4GHz WiFi and make my computer basically unusable for online games. This isn’t really the same situation but I imagine something similar could happen in reverse.

Otherwise I’ve never had any issues with controller latency though. It’s weird that it’s so significant for you.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

Multiple physical locations and network setups. It doesn’t matter.

Bluetooth is substantially higher latency and lower stability than the proprietary adapter. It’s fine if you can tolerate it, but the performance isn’t the same.

• ByteWelder@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

My Xbox Wireless Controller couldn’t connect with Bluetooth until after a firmware update. The update required a Windows machine and the Xbox Accessories app (VM didn’t work) or an Xbox One (360 didn’t work).

• azenyr@lemmy.pt
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Damn how old is your controller? My series X controller worked from day one. Zero configuration needed. Nobara Linux. I use it almost everyday for hours, zero problems

• ByteWelder@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

I looked it up and it seems to be the 2020 version. I recently got it with a Steam Deck that I bought second hand.

• teawrecks@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

You mean you have an Xbox controller that supports bt but you can’t get it to work on Linux, or you have an Xbox controller and it doesn’t seem to support bt?

Because they started adding bt to xbone controllers half way through their cycle, so not all of them have it. Refer to msft’s picture to tell them apart.

IMO Xbox controllers are the way to go. BT works fine for me on Linux these days. Not sure if it’s steam doing it or what.

• TxTechnician@lemmy.mlOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Has bt. Linux says it’s connected. But the Xbox light doesn’t stop blinking. Then just goes dark…

• teawrecks@sopuli.xyz
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

Ok, I definitely had that happen before. I’m trying to remember what I did to fix it. Are you trying to use one of the xpad or xboxdrv packages? I think the solution that’s currently working for me is not using either of them. I removed them and I think it must be steam that’s making it work for me.

Or if you’re not using either of those, then maybe try them out lol. It sucks how finicky it can be to get it working, but I still prefer Xbox controllers.

• steal_your_face@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I had compatible issues with an Xbox series controller via Bluetooth. Even after installing all the proprietary drivers and such.

• azenyr@lemmy.pt
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Well I use one Series X original controller that came with my Xbox series X on my Nobara desktop almost daily. Zero issues. Maybe it depends on the distro or kernel version. I didn’t have to install any drivers whatsoever

• Voytrekk@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I’ve used a few controllers. Generally, controllers with direct input have worked the best. My favorite controller to use is the Dual Sense controller(PS5). The Switch controller also works right out of the box. Xbox controllers seem to be hit and miss. If you do want an Xbox style controller, consider the 8bit-do ultimate controller, as it has a dinput mode. Avoid the Bluetooth variant, as the 2.4ghz mode is xinput only.

• master_of_unlocking@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

I’ve had really good experiences with PS5 DualSense controllers. They connect via Bluetooth or USB-C and have official support for the Linux kernel. The touchpad also works as a mouse out of the box which is really convenient.

• Silejonu@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

I use a DualSense, an 8BitDo Pro2, and a Switch Pro controller.

My favourite by far is the DualSense: motion control works (unlike the 8BitDo), and the touchpad is really useful to control the mouse cursor in menus. The buttons are also shorter and real more reactive. It’s on the bigger size, which may or may not be a good thing for you. I have smaller hands, so for me it’s not as comfortable as the 8BitDo, but it’s definitely bearable, and I still use it over my 8BitDo Pro2.

The Switch Pro controller is a pain in some games (last time I tried, it was so bugged it was unusable with Dead Cells), and I don’t see any real advantage it would have over an 8BitDo Pro2. Maybe the motion control? I don’t know if it works or not, I have never tested it.

• robotopera@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I love the switch pro, but the trigger buttons being straight up buttons is a deal breaker for some games. DualSense is goat, and target has occasionally had them on sale for $45.

• Danileonis @lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

The Xbox one is good and it’s the standard layout on PC, so this is probably your pick.

I love my Steam Controller since is very customizable and a pretty unique hardware, but it may require config steps.

8bitdo stuff is usually good but pay attention on layout buttons.

Never tested a PS controller on PC but Steam should allow to play some game with the PS buttons on screen.

• navordar@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I am using the Xbox One controller. I had to pair it with Windows once to fix a connection problem, but now it’s problem-free. I’m pretty sure that the problem and solution was described on Arch Wiki but I can’t find it now. Basically it was stuck on disconnecting and connecting again until Windows didn’t update its firmware

• root@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I like the dualsense5 controllers for the PS5. The trackpad is a handy feature to have.