Is it possible to join two Communities? There is a Bremen here and on feddit. I think It would be great to combine them into one - each one mirroring the other. (I haven’t asked at feddit, up to now this is just a question of principles of lemmy.)

• chop
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

You can join both, sure. You’d just independently click the Subscribe button on /c/Bremen@feddit.de and /c/Bremen@discuss.tchncs.de

Because they naturally each have different rules, cultures, members, and such; having the same community on different instances is mostly thought of as a feature, not a bug. I’ve seen comms be toxic on one server but thriving elsewhere. The hope is that you can organically sub wherever you want to participate or are seeing what you want to see, and weed out bad communities or ones that die out.

There’s are GitHub issues around “multicommunities” for every client, but I haven’t seen anything up and running. Example issue.

• cyberic
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It would also be great to make “megacommunities” where I could have a single feed of multiple communities.

• 𝑛𝑛𝑧@mastodon.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

@cyberic Seems to work. You have to follow the Lemmy communities from Mastodon in order to be able to add them to a list, though, and the list only populates with future posts to those communities, but those are the current lists restrictions on Mastodon, and I believe that lists of fediverse accounts that you don’t follow are in the making. (I’m trying lists for the very first time. They are obviously server-based, and it‘s interesting how they manifest in the different apps.)