Description:

Meme format image. The top half has a picture of Star Trek: The Next Generation’s bridge crew with the text “the prime directive forbids us from interfering. We cannot share our technology”. The bottom half has a picture of Stargate’s SG-1 team and the text “all your gods are false. Here, take these guns.”

• starlord@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Let’s not forget that these directives originate from vastly different points in “our” moral evolutionary “history,” not to mention technological capability (especially versus the rest of the galaxy) and sense of safety/security. If the SGC were founded in the same century as The Federation, would they have a similar stance?

• Swedneck
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I mean it’s really not a moral thing, in stargate humanity would have been pretty fucked if they didn’t take every opportunity to bash on gods and arm people to revolt

brings to mind a quote from Zero Punctuation: “conservative policies I admit can be a bit callous…when we’re not about to be devoured!”

• mrbubblesort@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

It’s been ages since I saw SG, but weren’t the “aliens” they met mostly other humans that were forcibly relocated to other planets? So then the prime directive shouldn’t really count because they’re all us

• interolivary@beehaw.orgOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

This got me thinking about who actually came up with the Prime Directive; was it humans or the Vulcans?