• BEEKAYRANDEE@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Genuine question: If the network is decentralized, how are they able to determine the amount of users on the system?

The article mentions opt-in usage reporting, but that would only indicate there’s around 115 million users actively reporting that they’re using it, right?

• Untold1707@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Correct. Home server operators need to opt-in to reporting (it’s off by default). On top of that, users on home servers who have opted in to reporting also need to opt in to analytics. So there are potentially many more users than are being reported to the matrix org.

• ReversalHatchery@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

It’s not the users reporting it, but the different homeservers, I think, and if memory serves it is connected to some other relevant feature that operators enable

• AeroLemming@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

Matrix has always been unusably laggy for me. Like, it takes longer to send a message over Matrix than over Lemmy. That’s the biggest barrier to entry.

• OnU@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I’ve been enjoying matrix so much over the last couple of years. Its so nice having all the choices of clients and for me the best part, all those bridges. Everybody I have a conversation with, over the fact that i dont care where they contact me because I will just get it on the same client anyway, are always envious. (It’s the subtle of flexes :D) I hope we will get client side bridging one day. Ahh and of course p2p matrix. There are just so many awesome ideas and prototypes flying around matrix :)

• Possibly linux@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

There is no way that is true. For context that would be 3 times the population of California

• ReversalHatchery@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Well, it depends on how they count it.

I myself doubt it too, I think it may be the number of all registrated users from servers that have stats reporting enabled, but what do I know