Do you use any web ui’s for your Linux server? I’m comfortable managing my server using the command line, but I also want a graphical interface that shows an overview of what is running on the server, the way the resources are being used what containers are running and so on. Also file download uploads would be great to have.

What do you recommend which is light and resources and is suitable for less powerful servers with low ram?

So far these are the more interstating tools I’ve found: (they vary in functionality their provide)

CasaOS Cockpit SartOS Orb Kasm

• mFat@lemdro.idOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I mainly need this when i don’t have access to my own laptop and ssh keys.

• constantokra@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

You could use a hardware key for ssh with a passphrase protected key. I use a solo key v1 myself. There are even keys that let you enter a pin on the device instead of the computer, so you don’t have to worry about key loggers. And you can set up Sudo to work with a key too.

• frustbox@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Just SSH. Every public facing piece of software (I.e. a web interface) adds more complexity for misconfiguration or security vulnerabilities.

You can mount you remote filesystem locally and use your local file manager and text editors to manage most tasks. If you use ansible you can make changes to a local configuration and deploy the state to the server without needing to run anything special on the server side. It is especially effective if you also run docker.

And for monitoring I usually just have a tmux with btop running. Which is fine if you don’t need long term time series data, then you might want to look at influxdb/grafana - but even those I would run locally behind a firewall, with the server reporting the data to the database.

• andruid@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Cockpit has been my go too, very quick to just get up and working plus including a web terminal for the rest of what you need.

• Helix 🧬@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Have a look at Netdata, Alerta and Prometheus.

Of all the things you mentioned Cockpit is the only sane one.

• caseyweederman@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

It can connect singly. It used to have the ability to stack graphs and details of multiple machines at a time. Not just a dropdown that switches you fully.
          Here’s the feature introduction: Multi-Server Dashboard
          The removal announcement was buried in the release notes which is why I say it was quietly discontinued, but I sure spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to enable it before finding that.

I’ll try to find it later once I’m not on mobile, but you can tell from the above link that nothing like that exists in Cockpit today.

• Helix 🧬@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            8 months ago

Thank you for the explanation. That sucks.

If it’s only the monitoring you want, you can set up something with Grafana and Prometheus very quickly.

• Pantherina@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

Mardown formatting

This is written with three "`" at the front and back for codeblock.

[Link](URL)

*italic*

**fat**

***fatitalic***

~~crossed~~

# Header 1
        ## Header 2
        ### Header 3

Link

italic

fat

fatitalic

crossed

Header 1

Header 2

Header 3

• Pantherina@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

I tried to install Cockpit on Debian, and it just downloaded an entire Linux Desktop? Really weird, had the configs and open port all but still the UI was not showing.

Might give it another try but would prefer something less resource heavy

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

“Hey you wanted NetworkManager, right? We’ve decided everyone wants NetworkManager.”

Last time I didn’t use --no-install-recommends

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

It makes sense in a lot of cases, just not all of them.
          Huh, it’s got to be the maintainers who make that list, right? Not the developers?
          Either way, that must be an awkward philosophical snarl. “Oh I see we’re running Gnome again.”

• zzzzzz@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I have found Nginx Proxy Manager to be a huge time-saver for configuring nginx and certbot.

• MonkCanatella@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I tried out some of these today. Umbrel, CapRover and Tipi aren’t on your list yet.

They look beautiful and have some nice prebuilt installations but it gets really ugly soon as you need a custom component. I just deleted it all and switched over to portainer.

I tried installing gnome to rdp into my oracle free tier server and it wasn’t remotely (hehehe) worth it. Very laggy and direct interfaces are just far superior so no to that as well. Plus it takes up precious space and resources.

I think the best option is a dashboard like dashy or homepage to keep your service interfaces together. Portainer is excellent for container management.

These weird “OS” style container platforms are really bizarre and I don’t think too well thought out. They’re kinda toys really. Looked really amazing but they show their limitations really quickly.

• MigratingtoLemmy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

What you want is monitoring: how about looking for monitoring services? I found monit recently and would like to try it. Simple SNMP would do too I think