A major partner told John Riccitiello personally that it will not pay the Runtime Fee – and in the strongest possible terms.

• habanhero@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

So most of the indie devs will not need to pay if they are sub 1MM revenue, and the large players can just throw the weight around and negotiate the fees down? Then who is this fee meant to fleece, the “middle class” devs?

• Johanno@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

It is still unattractive for indie devs. You risk a huge hit in your revenue when you accidentally hit the the limit. You can’t stop selling games to not hit it.

• deleted@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

It’s a cycle.

1. Indie devs will find / build new platform
        2. The platform will gain traction
        3. It’ll grow exponentially
        4. It’ll reach a point where platform devs will be greedy or itll be taken over by big corps.

Rinse and repeat.

Some platforms reach stage 2 but never leave.

• Johanno@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Gdot is FOSS engine. This means it will most probably never pull shit like that and even if everybody is allowed to fork it before a bad change and continue with that

• AeroLemming@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

I think Godot will eventually replace Unity. They’ve definitely given us enough reason to never touch Unity again, and if you already know Unity, Godot isn’t that hard to switch to.

• deleted@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            8 months ago

While I totally agree with what you said, big corps would work hard to limit FOSS.

Googles web integrity API is an example of what might happen.

Nvidia could pull shit like this processing only “trusted” code from trusted source like steam which might not consider FOSS as trusted.

Don’t get me wrong. I use Linux and I prefer FOSS over closed source software.

But recently the gate seems to be getting closed slowly. Corps devoting their resources to lobby against FOSS.

• El Barto@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

Corps devoting their resources to lobby against FOSS.

That has been a decades long battle. They’ll never win the war.

Microsoft was 100% against Linux 15 years ago. Now there is a Linux subsystem sitting next to the core of the OS.

• DosDude👾@retrolemmy.com
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                8 months ago

And honestly it seems like FOSS solutions are way more usable these days. In the old days it was a huge hit in either features or UI.

• qaz@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                8 months ago

Yes, they’ve taken an “if you can’t beat them, join them” approach to FOSS for a while now.

• Johanno@feddit.de
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

However you still can brew your own soup if there is a foss Version of a program out there.

• JohnEdwa@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

The huge hit of a maximum of 2.5% of your future revenue. Unreal takes 5% in the same situation, for comparison.

The fee itself is perfectly reasonable, Unity just completely fucked up implementing it trying to force it on games already released or in development by altering the agreements solo and stirring up a well deserved shitshow for it, staining their reputation probably permanently.

• Buddahriffic@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Thought they were dealing a death blow to applovin, hit themselves instead.

Though with what they were trying to do, I wonder if regulators will come in for the kill now.

• kingthrillgore@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

I figured this was gonna come out. I figured Unity would bend the knee for anyone that made real money for the platform, so the change for their licensing fee would impact the hard working indie devs that need every penny to pursue their passion. This is such brazen rentseeking.

I remember a game developer calling this change a “tax on the rich” and I went on blast because nobody rich pays a tax. It’s handed down to the actual users as punitive. This just hurts those who want to make this a passion.

And the telling thing is a lot of Unity staff are abandoning ship. Which means the things that matter like DOTS or ARP are going to rot while metrics and ads remain stable. I got fed up with the state of DOTS and ProBuilder, and while it’s not as comparable, Godex is reaching some degree of partity with FLECS and Entitas.

Do not be fooled that with JR gone Unity will be back to its old self. If you have a project almost out the door finish it. If not, change engines.

• SharkAttak@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I’ve yet to understand how that was even legal. “Hey you know those colors we sold you? Now that you used them to do a painting, we’ll take a % on how much you sold it for”

• grey
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I hope this makes more people use Godot.

• Dedh@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

I couldn’t get past the article’s use of the word “mediation” as a business type/label for these companies.

• Elderos@lemmings.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

of all the games released on Steam in 2022, only 70 have hit the million dollars threshold. I think it is misleading to bundle all “indies” in one big basket. Those 70 games can afford to pay or negociate. Don’t get me wrong, total dick and amateurish move from Unity, but the amount of people around social media who believe game devs can just hit the threshold by accident and become unprofitable is ridiculous. Current gamedev here and ex Unity employee. It is worth denouncing Unity and fighting for our indies, but understand that this affect the 0.01%, literally. 70 games out of 6000 released games on Steam in 2022. Sure most games are shit and w/e, but you get the point.

• mosiacmango@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

The “1 million dollar threshold” came out as a backpedal after the runtime fee backlash. Unity’s fee chnage was initially pitched as retroactive to all unity games, a per device install, and per reinstall for those devices. It did create a way to harrass and “install bomb” devs with insane fees, along with gouging smaller devs for money in perpetuity that could cost them more in fees long term then they made in profits because it was such a stupid structure.

The fact that they have backpedaled to a 1mil threshold and a “come on guys, this barely affects any of you” is purely because people did react to a very ugly, very tone deaf, and very damaging fee scheme that did affect everyone.