Welcome to the Melbourne Community Daily Discussion Thread.

• Bottom_racer@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

So last night’s attempted home invasion has brought me to bringing a golf club to bed. I have chosen a 5 iron.

But seriously worrying about this shit was not on my 2023 bingo card.

So I’m now in the process of working out how much paranoia is healthy. Like do you set up a little random timer for a light(s), a camera would be pointless after the fact. The motion sensor out the front works but wasn’t a deterrent.

Rationally, statistically it’s not common. Seeing it first hand is making me irrational.

• Bacon@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I had an attempted break in a few years ago during the day. They ran when they saw me appeared at the window. Never returned. If the attempted home invasion was more of a thief nature rather than a robbery nature I’d say you’ll be fine.

• CEOofmyhouse56@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

What you need to do is set up some speakers and a German shepherd/ rottweiller sound track on your phone. You hear a noise, you press play.

• melbaboutown@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Cameras can sometimes be a deterrant, and the ones you can see through an app on your phone can quickly reassure you that a sound was just a possum. Or can let you know if there’s anyone sus outside, giving you the jump to get out the back door and/or call the cops.

Give yourself a break. You’ve been through a shaking experience and don’t need to beat yourself up about your reactions