joker-amerikkklap

The suspect is believed to be Robert Card, a 20-year US Army veteran from Bowdoin Center, Maine.

(according to Telegrams so take with grain of salt)

EDIT: Name confirmed by news.

According to law enforcement, CARD recently reported mental health issues to include hearing voices and threats to shoot up the National Guard Base in Saco, ME.

• FALGSConaut [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I agree completely. Just compare america’s reaction to continuous mass shootings to that of Canada or Australia. The massacres at Ecole Polytechnique and Port Stanley led to sweeping changes in gun legislation in both countries, while Columbine, Sandy Hook, Uvalde, Virginia Tech, etc have led to basically nothing being done to curb the endless stream of mass shooters. Now I’ll leave discussion about firearm legislation for another time, but I can’t help but think a basic screening system along with mandatory firearm safety training if someone wants to own firearms goes a long way to reducing gun violence. Of course there are issues with how that sort of thing is implemented and who ends up being approved (us-foreign-policy ), and I don’t see a realistic way to implement buybacks/confiscations/licensing program without frothingfash exacerbating the whole situation and leading to even more mass shootings