Real life dystopia has become so boring, people not directly involved intensify drama online to bring the conflict into their online lives.

An opinion piece I find quite fitting for Lemmy as well. I wonder how a “boring” just fact based rational social media would look like?

• masquenox@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

It’s “virtue signalling” if you are a white supremacist that can’t stand people learning the truth about the west’s favorite little genocidal kapo state… they know how that eventually worked out for their previous favorite, Apartheid-South Africa.

• ComradeSharkfucker@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Unfortunately organizing protest and petitioning our government is all we can do without sacrificing our own lives.

• Throwaway@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

The problem is more that they side with the genociders. Hamas is fucking evil. 1400 dead.

I think abortion lovers like them because they beheaded so many babies, idk, because nothing else makes sense. Maybe they just hate lgbtq people and want them executed? Or they want to oppress women?

In any case, siding with Hamas is either ignorant or straight up evil.

• hiddengoat@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Hey, it’s the fucking idiot that doesn’t know states can’t prevent Federal offices from doing their duty.

Fuck off.

• R0cket_M00se@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

Well just remember when all the doctors leave so the christo-fascists don’t put them to death for doing their jobs, that you brought it on yourself because your belief in 6000-2000 year old middle eastern morality is more important than the medical science that proves a clump of 4 cells can’t be considered a person.

• glad_cat@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

As far as I remember, there were people virtue-signaling this kind of conflict, even before the internet was a thing.

• Yewb@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Picking reasons to create division is fun, fuck fundamentalism and governments - no innocent should die.

• Haus@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

After much reflection, my response to both sides is a weary “What did you expect would happen?”

• Delphia@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

And both sides hate nothing more than the overwhelming apathy I have towards two sides who are objectively terrible kicking piss out of each other yet again.

• afraid_of_zombies@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Ok but like a whole lot of people have died in a short period of time there. Maybe we can worry about what people on Twatter have to say later?

Nothing is new about this. I remember when I was a kid seeing all these bored middle aged people lining up for Black Friday shopping just to feel literally anything.

• ArumiOrnaught@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Fact based and rational media? Wikipedia is probably your closest bet.

You can’t see truth, only triangulate it.

• jet@hackertalks.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

I’m not sure what the editorial author wants everyone to do.

Be critical thinkers, try to be effective, but when people demonstrate incomplete logic, engaging with them is a useful exercise. Either your logic is wrong, or their logic is wrong, and a healthy mature discourse will help you both develop better positions

• HappycamperNZ@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

I was talking with someone on here yesterday who provided a balanced arguement (that disagreed with mine) and provided a number of sources.

I was gutted their comment was deleted so I couldn’t reply.

• jet@hackertalks.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Go to your Lemmy messages, all messages, copy and paste their deleted message, so you can still manually reply to it. It doesn’t have to be lost forever

• havokdj@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

The people who support Hamas are brainlets, but the people who support Israel are extremely misguided at best