I’m upgrading because my phone is losing (lost?) support. I use a OnePlus 7 Pro and love it and wouldn’t bother upgrading otherwise. I’d appreciate some recommendations of android phones you like, please.

Thank you in advance! (⁠.⁠ ⁠❛⁠ ⁠ᴗ⁠ ⁠❛⁠.⁠)

• dinckel@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

A lot of people won’t like this answer, but I would not recommend anything from Samsung. Yes, the hardware on paper is typically excellent. However, everything else that comes with the experience is a complete joke to me.

• The bootloader is locked, and even if you manage to get it unlocked Knox will be permanently tripped.
    • I never personally liked OneUI, but accepted it as long as it works. Unfortunately that’s also not been the experience for me.
    • The last update they pushed for my phone broke Bluetooth connectivity, and it’ll never be fixed, because they said there won’t be any updates period. Now I’m left with a pen notification that never goes away, and a watch that disconnects every 15 minutes.
    • Their own stock apps are not very convenient at all, but don’t forget to remind you to sign up for their updated data theft EULA every time you open them

And that’s just software. It doesn’t stop there. On my Note 10, the glass back completely peeled off, because of internal heat, and the only thing holding it together is the case. Keep in mind that this is from just regular usage. I don’t play games on my phone, or do anything else that would warrant this kind of output

• seeCseas@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Interesting… I switched away from Samsung and actually hated stock Android!

• I actually preferred One UI to the standard pixel, mainly because Google ruined the quick settings - they made each button unnecessarily big, and turning on/off the wifi requires two taps instead of one now (Internet > Wifi). That’s something I can’t change without rooting.
      • Some Samsung stock apps are actually a great alternative to the android ones (I use Samsung Notes a ton). The only downside is they force you to download it through their own app store.
      • Samsung doesn’t really have much bloat now, and the few pieces of bloat i found could be uninstalled
      • Samsung is still the only phone manufacturer with triple camera setups in a small flagship phone

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not perfect, but the issues I had with Samsung were solvable (e.g. uninstalling bloat is a one-time thing) while the annoyances I’ve had with a Pixel aren’t solvable (quick settings, no third camera).

• dinckel@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

It all comes down to personal preferences and experiences, so I’m glad you had a good time

• PeepinGoodArgs@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

I’ve only used Samsung for a long time, starting with the Note 3, 5, 8, and now S22 Ultra. I’ve not experienced any of these problems. And you can just use a different launcher than OneUI (I’m currently using Total Launcher after years of using Nova).

• Rhynoplaz@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I agree completely. I LOVED the first 3-5 Galaxy S phones, but they just kept adding more bloat.

I’m on year 5 with my Pixel 3, and when it finally craps out, I’m going with another Pixel.

• PR3CiSiON@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

I loved my pixel 2, but hate my pixel 6. I’m switching away from pixel as soon as this one dies

• AmosBurton_ThatGuy@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Why is that if I may ask? I’ve gone from the nexus 4 - nexus 6p - pixel 2 - galaxy s10(fuck samsung, never again) - pixel 6. I’m happy enough with my pixel 6, it’s not amazing but I don’t really have any complaints about it either. I’m planning to use it until it either gets to slow for my liking or the battery goes to shit, whichever comes first.

• Waluigis_Talking_Buttplug@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

I broke my One Plus 7 Pro and now have a Galaxy S21 Ultra, and while I don’t hate it, I don’t think I’ll be getting another samsung

However, I will say, Samsung keyboard is legitimately the best Andorid keyboard overal. I’ll probably be installing it onto my next phone. But, like, it’s sad that that’s the only nice thing I can say about it.

It’s not a bad phone, and I bought it used, but Samsung is just so bloaty. I’d much rather a stock experience than their software

• HamSwagwich@showeq.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Wow. I absolutely detest the Samsung keyboard. It’s absolutely retarded on terms of prediction and button accuracy.

Gboard, while not great, seems to be the best/most accurate. I don’t like Gboard, don’t get me wrong, but it’s way more accurate than Samsung

• Waluigis_Talking_Buttplug@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

I just like the ability to manually set the sizes of each key, because gboard I’m always hitting n when I want to hit soccer or y when I want to or u.

It’s also the most customizable overall, not just the themeing but layout.

And it actually has a functional clipboard that doesn’t last only a limited time.