Hopefully the community grows on here like with reddit

• kolorafa@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m using jellyfin daily as my primary media server for few years now, even having Plex pass I still somehow prefer jellyfin over it.

Jellyfin 💓

• DominusOfMegadeus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Tried it recently and I still prefer Plex. Jellyfin doesn’t seem to want to display in order of last added. What advantages do you like about it?

• PriorProject@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Plex keeps getting more tightly intertwined with their cloud offerings. It kept breaking for me when they kept changing the config to disable the Plex online account requirement. I finally gave up fighting with it and moved to Jellyfin. It’s not so much that Jellyfin does anything better as much as it is that Plex kept making itself worse with online requirements I didn’t want.

• Noogs@lemmy.noogs.me
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Daily driver here. The main dashboard page does show your most recently added media and you can also sort both movies and TV Shows by most recently added by changing the sort order. I’ve been using Jellyfin for a couple years now after I outgrew an older Kodi/MySQL setup and it does everything I need. Never even tried Plex honestly.

• kolorafa@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

There is nothing to hope, we just need to be the ones leading the way showing how it’s done :)

• scaredofplanes@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I have a server stood up for a couple years, and I keep it updated. But I’m still day to day on Plex for waf and for downloads, which have always worked for me. I try to keep up with jellyfin but I think I’m behind on development. For those of you who are daily drivers, how’s it going?

• remer@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’m loving it. It’s worked like a champ once I figured out the transcoding settings. Runs 4k smooth as butter. I’ve got a cloud flare tunnel so I can access it from anywhere.

• NSA_Server_04@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Here’s hoping but they did say they’re moving to their own forums which I imagine will leave a disconnect of questions and answers etc.

• OptimistPrime@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I don’t think moving to their own forum is a mistake, but the way they did it is just repating mistakes people have done in the golden age of bb’s.

They made tons of subforums for specific purposes like android app development and whatever, which now mostly are barren with no content because they just started. Looks really terrible if you as a new user go there to check it out. I would not register there but look for other sources.

Instead they should have kept it simple the beginning with just a few subforums so they actually fill up with content. Making new subforums could always happen later. So I don’t see this taking off and I hope they still embrqce something like this Lemmy group.

• motorwerks@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I tend to agree w/ this sentiment, but hope that the 2 options, official forum & fediverse discussion, can somehow provide unique value. I’m currently running jellyfin on a DS920+ & about to move it over to a 12th gen Intel-based Lenovo M90Q for performance reasons. The idea is to keep all media downloading/converting/retaining on the NAS & the serving on the M90Q that can access the NAS. Here’s to hoping I’m moving in the right direction rather than just trying dumb stuff.

• ilco@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

one of the best things i host on my server .love not having to use any third part acount like plex also kinda feels less bloated ,than plex .whice i like