On Wednesday evening, a rifle-toting gunman murdered 18 people and wounded at least 13 more in Lewiston, Maine, when he opened fire at two separate locations—a bowling alley, followed by a bar. A manhunt is still underway for 40-year-old suspect Robert Card, a trained firearms instructor with the U.S. Army Reserve who, just this summer, spent two weeks in a mental hospital after reporting that he was hearing voices and threatening to shoot up a military base.

While the other late-night talk show hosts stuck to poking fun at new Speaker of the House Mike Johnson on Thursday night, Stephen Colbert took his rebuke of the Louisiana congressman to a whole other level.

“Now, we know the arguments,” Colbert said of the do-nothing response politicians generally have to tragedies such as this. “Some people are going to say this is a mental health issue. Others are going to say it’s a gun issue. But there’s no reason it can’t be both.”

• Ordoabchao@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

I’m no gun expert or psychologist, but I am fairly certain mentally stable people don’t go round shooting up public places.

• tomatobeard@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

I am fairly certain the same could be said for someone experiencing a mental health crisis without access to firearms.

• telllos@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Exactly, you’re mentally stable until you’re not. And lot’s of things can trigger a crisis.

He was such a nice guy, who would have thought!

• chaogomu@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Most mass shooters are actually right wing nutjobs.

Take this one, he was part of a right-wing militia.

While he did have a metal issue, he also had access to far too many guns, and then continued access after threatening to go on a mass shooting. All because he was part of a “militia”.

• Ordoabchao@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Definitely one way of trying to . One question though, who’s going to pay for all that?

The mental health services are not going to be free and the gun owners certainly won’t be cool with paying it. The government definitely won’t pay for it…See, this is why I say I have no faith that the problem won’t be solved any time soon, if ever.

Too many hard and expensive choices to make that will prove massively unpopular with large parts of either side of the argument.

• bbuez@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

The gun lobby could pay for it! They’ve got 16 million a year to spare!

Too expensive! Says residents of the only developed nation where this is a regular occurance

• PoliticalAgitator@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

The Maine shooter received urgent mental healthcare. Then he killed 20 people with a legally purchased firearm.

If you genuinely believe that “universal healthcare with no waiting times, for free, to every man, woman and child in America, including people who don’t want help, that instantly cures them of complex mental health problems far beyond our current medical science and so completely they will never relapse for even a minute, all so we can indiscriminately sell them guns” is a reasonable position, by all means start building that system.

You can have your guns back when you’re done.

• ryathal@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Involuntary commitment disqualifies a person from owning guns legally. It’s essentially never happens though.

• PeleSpirit@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

I think he voluntarily checked himself in, that’s what someone said last night. I’m talking more about before they get a gun.

• misanthropy@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Personally, this is one of the reasons I keep my mental illness to myself. I don’t want to hurt anyone but myself (and that’s not all the time), but knowing I might lose the right forever makes me keep a lid on things, and honestly prevents me from reaching out for help when I’m feeling particularly sour.

Also, the paperwork you sign before your NICS background check asks if you’ve been committed, voluntary or involuntary.

Also, involuntarily commiting definitely happens, but usually it’s after a failed suicide attempt, and just nets you a 20-25k bill (with insurance) and having no way of going back to work for three days costing you your job. I’ve got two friends with that exact experience.

• rchive@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

And that’s the other edge of the double edged sword. If you say, “people with known mental health problems lose certain rights, even temporarily,” some portion of people with those problems will just fight harder to keep them unknown, foregoing help in the process. It’s just like how when certain places pass laws prohibiting having sex when you know you have an STD, some people just stop getting checked so they don’t “know” they have an STD.

• ryathal@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

There’s basically nothing temporary to government. You generally have to fight to undo anything, even if the laws says it should.

• krolden@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

And it bans them from owning gun virtually forever unless they can afford a good lawyer and all the legal fees youll need to do it.

• rchive@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

I hear calls for things like Red Flag Laws from conservatives pretty often, actually.

• KevonLooney@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

There isn’t any because Republicans focus on tax cuts for billionaires first. Everything else is just posturing.

Think about it. What federal legislation have Republicans proposed and passed since Bush? Tax cuts for billionaires. At least Bush mixed it up with some giveaways to the defense industry.

• rchive@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

I don’t know about other places, but here in Indiana we have a statewide Red Flag law. I don’t know about you, but I don’t think of Indiana as much of a blue state.

• Ashyr@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

That’s a super odd take. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to own guns. My grandfather was a farmer and they’re just standard tools on a farm.

• eskimofry@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

If guns were not so prevalent… then this mentally unstable person wouldn’t be able to kill so many people in such a short amount of time. Even the fucking police ignored his hearing voices and mental clinic appointment.

• ratman150@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Why is this so down voted? I’m seriously asking?

Are the people down voting disagreeing that mentally stable people generally don’t go around shooting up public spaces?

Edit: Jesus was just asking, down voting doesn’t help anyone who was confused as I was.

To everyone explaining the issue here thank you I get it now.

• Bumblefumble@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Because he’s arguing in bad faith. He’s removing blame from the ease of access to guns in a disingenuous, JAQing off way.

• MightBeAlpharius@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

It really bugs me when people do stuff like that… I grew up in VT, where laws are lax, tons of people have guns, and nothing ever happens. Responsibly handled and in the hands of a stable person, guns can be pretty safe - but, if you remove either one of those things, they’re incredibly dangerous.

In light of that, I wouldn’t mind if access were restricted somewhat. I’m totally fine with my neighbor having a rifle to kill varmints on their property, but way less fine with folks like my paranoid uncle having a safe full of assault rifles and thousands of rounds of ammo in a densely populated suburb.

• Xhieron@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            8 months ago

In the civilized world, you have to justify your need for a gun with the presence of the aforementioned varmints. No yard, no varmints, no gun.

No one needs a machine gun to hunt deer, and no one needs a handgun. Handguns are lousy for self defense (“buy a shotgun”, to quote the President). All they’re good for is killing humans and making gun shareholders richer.

And no gun is going to help you if the government comes for you either. The cops are coming with tear gas, body armor, and tanks, and most importantly there’s no amount of cops you can kill that will get them to leave you alone.

All of the justifiable bases for having a gun are solved with a double barrel shotgun. Even if you’re being mauled by a bear, if two rounds of buckshot don’t stop it, you weren’t gonna make it anyway.

License shotguns like cars and get rid of everything else. “Only criminals will have guns!” That’s what your shotgun is for. And if the criminals are getting locked up for having mobile armories, even better. We can replace the current prison population of black drug users with actual gangsters.

• krolden@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 months ago

In the civilized world, you have to justify your need for a gun with the presence of the aforementioned varmints. No yard, no varmints, no gun.

so gun ownership should only be allowed for people who own property?

• Xhieron@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                8 months ago

Yes, and while we’re at it, yes to any other bad faith strawman argument you’ve got. GTFO with that bullshit.

• Fal@yiffit.net
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 months ago

In the civilized world, you have to justify your need for a gun with the presence of the aforementioned varmints.

Fuck that. We can talk about giving up our guns when the cops and government give up theirs

• rchive@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                8 months ago

We can talk about giving up our guns when the cops and government give up theirs

Amen to that.

• adrian783@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            8 months ago

Maine and Vermont has similar gun ownership rates and death by gun statistics.

“nothing ever happens” until it happens. then it’s all “how could this have happened” 🤷‍♀️

you only need an air rifle for killing varmints, AR-15 is designed for killing people.

• dhork@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

That statement came across as the “guns don’t kill people, people kill people” argument that is used against gun control, saying that it makes no sense to restrict guns when it’s the person using the gun who decides to kill, and if that person is motivated enough they can do damage even without access to firearms, so why bother?

I don’t think that’s your point at all, but people always reflexively downvote over shit like that.

• Ordoabchao@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

Gun ownership is a touchy issue to the US population in general. shrugs

Ease of access to firearms is a massive part of the problem, but saying that I will be downvoted even more. Add in the fact there are people having mental issues and breakdowns more than ever, and you can see why mass shootings are increasing.

Simply put, it’s not an issue that is going to be solved any time soon, if ever. It is a highly politicized issue, which you can tell by the ferocity of the responses I got to my flippant original comment.

• Codilingus@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

For real, I feel like their comment was literally only about the mental stability of these shooters. That’s it. But people read into what isn’t there and assume it’s a bad faith argument against gun control.