• MudMan@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

So this is a US thing, with the weird half-full-of-water bowls, right?

I’ve had a messy clog maybe once in my life, but evven then it didn’t just fill horrifically with water and overflow. It’s such a trope that all I can assume is that maybe US toilets do that sometimes?

• samus12345@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

American plumbing sucks. I never once clogged a toilet in my 10 years living in Germany - those things would suck down ANYTHING. Here they sometimes just decide to back up for no visible reason.

But like the other poster said, they rarely overflow - you just have a gross bowl of water to deal with trying to plunge it down.

• Cornelius_Wangenheim@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

It’s really only kids / idiots that overflow the toilet, since it takes several flushes on a fully clogged toilet to get the water level that high.

• peopleproblems@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Ok, so my toilets are like 23 years old, I have no knowledge on how they work, but both clog easily and both overfill if you don’t shut off the water.

What the fuck is wrong with my toilets/plumbing?

• teejay@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

my toilets are like 23 years old

You’re more than two decades out of date with design and material improvements. And I’m guessing there are likely issues with things like gaskets and seals that are causing problems. Go pick up some new toilets and hire a plumber to install them, since you may need new valves, flanges, and who knows what else.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

I mean that makes sense. i probably just needed someone else to say it before I felt comfortable putting that money down. thank you

• teejay@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

You bet! While you’re at it, you should seriously consider installing one with a bidet seat. It will, quite literally, change your life. It’s that much better. There are cheap ones available on Amazon that you can install yourself, or you can splurge for a nice toto washlet or similar. Either way, go for it!

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                8 months ago

oh I got one of those. you better fucking believe it changed my life. like I think I might be the only person I know with one, and honestly, it’s really gross to think of how many people don’t use them

• teejay@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  8 months ago

Preach it brother. When I try to tell people about how amazing they are, I usually get the same reaction of eww gross. So I always respond with: “If you got human poop on your arm, would you just wipe it with dry toilet paper and consider it clean? Or would you wash it?” That usually lands it home.

• gkd@lemmy.ml
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                8 months ago

Quite literally one of the best experiences. Not sure why this isn’t more popular over here.

• Denvil@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

It happens occasionally, it’s not like they overflow after one flush. You flush, notice the water isn’t going down, plunger it, and usually you’re good

• variants@possumpat.io
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Plus there’s a knob where the toilet water hose connects that you can turn off if you see it filling up so that it doesn’t overflow

• spauldo@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

That won’t stop it from overflowing. You need to pop the lid off the toilet, push the float down, and unhook the chain going to the flap.

• moody@lemmings.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

The flap should stop the toilet from flushing once the tank is empty. You shouldn’t need to do anything manually to stop it. That’s why people are concerned that your toilet overflows. A single flush should never cause your toilet to overflow, even if it’s clogged.

• spauldo@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

Yes, but people tend to have the habit of flushing at least twice in hopes the second time works, despite past experience.

• MudMan@kbin.social
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                8 months ago

This entire conversation confirms that apparently yeah, US toilets do this and as usual Americans will blame just about everybody for a problem that is readily solvable instead of actually fixing it.

I didn’t think I was gonna end up with toilets as a metaphor for, you know, health care, political corruption and gun control, but here we are.

• spauldo@lemmy.ml
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  8 months ago

Sure, I’ll just smuggle in European toilets to replace the perfectly serviceable toilets in my house.

Shall I remove the toilet seats and paper as well to really get that “Spanish gas station” feel?

Or maybe - just maybe - it’s not a big enough problem for anyone to take the time to fix.