I am trying to repeat my 10 Benchmarks video on my 3080M laptop, which I haven’t really used for a while apart from testing NVK. I had forgotten just HOW much Nvidia sucks. I had to reinstall the OS cause OpenSUSE stopped booting after I installed the drivers the first time. X11 is ALSO buggy on Nvidia and crashes randomly. windows won’t show, the Steam Friends List window hangs. This is almost unusable.

NAK and GSP cannot be merged soon enough so I can get rid of this proprietary atrocity.

• MrHandyMan@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Earlier this year I had a months long issue where my desktop image would freeze if I set its refresh rate higher than 120. I thought my GPU was breaking up, but I finally found a post on the Nvidia forum where someone else had the same issue and realized that it was because of the newest driver. It took months for Nvidia to fix that. Two months ago I just decided to switch to AMD and sold my Nvidia card and haven’t had any issues with AMD so far.

• ayaya@lemdro.id
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

To be fair AMD recently had a bug where the 6000 series GPUs would sit at 96 mhz unless you set your refresh rate below 100hz and that also took a couple months to be fixed. I was randomly getting 20fps in every game until I managed to find this gitlab issue. It started in kernel 6.4 and wasn’t fixed until 6.6 so I had to play at 90hz on my 165hz monitor for that whole span.

• Reverse ModuleOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

My 3080M won’t go higher than 80W on Linux for the past 3 years that I have this laptop. I tried both the 535 and 545 drivers, still same issue. This is absolutely unacceptable.

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

reinstall the OS cause OpenSUSE stopped booting

Just do a snapper rollback. It’s pretty easy:

1. Boot from older kernel in the boot menu and check if it works
    2. Run sudo snapper rollback
    3. Reboot

Boom, saved you a reinstall.

Alternatively, you can set up zypper to keep old NVIDIA packages, then just login to a CLI and install the older driver package, then reboot. I did that a few times as well, but the snapper rollback was easier.

X11 is ALSO buggy

I didn’t have any of those issues for the 3-ish years I was on Tumbleweed and NVIDIA. I’m now still on Tumbleweed, but have switched to AMD for proper Wayland support

• Reverse ModuleOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Thanx for the rollback command! :)

And yeah, some games wouldn’t even boot. So I’m doing 5 games in this benchmark after all. Perhaps it’s cause it’s an Optimus laptop.

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Perhaps. It’s been years since I messed with that. In fact, my last laptop I opted for an AMD APU and no GPU so I wouldn’t need to deal with graphics switching.

• meiko60@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Nvidia is the best for Windows. But, if you want the best on Linux and Windows Amd is good

• angrymouse@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

It is the best if you are paying for the top of the top. In the medium spectrum is probably better to go AMD or Intel cause the cost/benefit.

• AProfessional@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Nvidia won’t even let you use their software on Windows if you don’t give them your user data. Hardly the best.

• mateomaui@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

That’s only if you care about the GeForce Experience software, I don’t even have it installed so it doesn’t bug me about updates. You can download and install drivers any time without signing in to an account.

• ProtonBadger@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

I guess mileage might differ. I installed Tumbleweed and then the Nvidia drivers following the wiki instructions. Everything is going great. Running a 3060 with Wayland+Plasma on a 360Hz screen and gaming through Steam. I love Tumbleweed.

An alternative if just for benchmarking is EndeavourOS, you can choose proprietary Nvidia drivers as a boot option in the installer and then I believe it’ll be installed with them without further ado. Downside is if you use it long term you have to read Arch News before updates to spot breaking/incompatible changes and be knowledagable of things like pacnew/pacsave files, etc.

• meiko60@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Nah, I have same issues. My hardware is 2 years old. I use manjaro/Ubuntu LTS and Non-LTS/PopOS/LinuxMint/Zorin/LMDE/Nobara and endeavour OS and it’s freezing quite often and I have to go back to Windows atm. I think Nvidia is main culprit here. If I move to Full AMD. I might try Linux again

• Reverse ModuleOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I reinstalled Tumbleweed and it worked fine. Have a 3080M vs 6800M benchmark coming up once it’s done transcoding.

• GustavoM@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Reject AMD/NVidia

Embrace RISC-V.

(No, really. I’m unironically considering using an risc-v sbc as my next “main desktop pc” for the next few years, and relying (only) on cloud gaming for my dopamine needs.)

• GustavoM@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

…are you sure about that? 10 Gibps is about to be standardized all around the globe.

• JPAKx4@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Also 10gibps doesn’t say anything about the latency, which is what makes me avoid cloud hardware steaming

• GustavoM@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

No, but we are talking about a STREAMING service. Which means, an ISP would have to be beyond terrible if it couldn’t provide decent streaming performance under an 10 Gibps connection. Which thankfully, is not the case even for Africans, Nigarians or any other “sub third-world country.”

• angrymouse@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              8 months ago

What? No, games arent just “streaming”, the time between you seeing stuff and and the server processing your inputs reacting to this new state of the game should be short, you can easily do this with a 500mbps connection with low latency but will not work with a 10gbps with 200 ping.

• JPAKx4@lemmy.sdf.org
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                8 months ago

Additionally, if you have a spotty 10gbs connection, you’ll still have a bad experience. The maximum capabilities of something doesn’t define how it can be used in the real world. I’m not denying some people can use it just fine, but it’s not mainstream for a reason.

• meiko60@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Internet capability in first world countries and Third World countries are totally different. also, cloud gaming is definitely no go if you want to play on the plane (Steam Deck/Switch/ROG etc is the solution for this)

• haui@lemmy.giftedmc.com
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

Hahahahaha! I live in germany and the best I can get is 250mbits for 75 € per month. We have no cable, no fiber, only dsl/copper lines.

What was that about first world countries?

• angrymouse@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

OK this is new to me, do you live in the countryside? I live around Porto Alegre in Brazil and for 120 reais (9% of minimum wage and around 24 euros I have a 500mbps fiber connection. But it would be dramatically different between metropolitan areas and a small city

• haui@lemmy.giftedmc.com
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                8 months ago

Nope. On the edge of a big city. A couple streets further they have fiber. Here, they dont. But congrats to you having a good connection. Mine is roughly 6% of minimum wage.

• GustavoM@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

Huh? Third world countries are 100% capable to deal with streaming servers with flawless performance – where are you getting those ideas from?

• BURN@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Since when?

Most places in the US still can’t get 1G, let alone 10. 1st world countries aren’t even close to that target, let alone a developing nation.

If you’re thinking about starlink, it’s going to be terrible for gaming and introduces a ton of latency.