Currently, I have SSH, VNC, and Cockpit setup on my home NAS, but I have run into situations where I lose remote access because I did something stupid to the network connection or some update broke the boot process, causing it to get stuck in the BIOS or bootloader.

I am looking for a separate device that will allow me to not only access the NAS as if I had another keyboard, mouse, and monitor present, but also let’s me power cycle in the case of extreme situations (hard freeze, etc.). Some googling has turned up the term KVM-over-IP, but I was wondering if any of you guys have any trustworthy recommendations.

• aodhsishaj@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Search eBay for AVOCENT 16 Port Digital KVM Over IP Switch DSR2020

New Avocent DSRIQ-USB for DSR1020 DSR2020 DSR8020 DSR1021 DSR2161 DSR4161

• tvcvt@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

This is the route I went as well. I have a couple MPU2016s at different sites. Like, u/aodhsishaj indicated, they’re pretty cheap on the used market; just bear in mind that you’ll need a module for each machine. I think this makes sense if you have multiple machines, but I’m not so sure mine can power cycle connected machines (as in with AHCI controls). I can, however, reboot from the command line and interact with BIOS, etc.