Currently, I have SSH, VNC, and Cockpit setup on my home NAS, but I have run into situations where I lose remote access because I did something stupid to the network connection or some update broke the boot process, causing it to get stuck in the BIOS or bootloader.

I am looking for a separate device that will allow me to not only access the NAS as if I had another keyboard, mouse, and monitor present, but also let’s me power cycle in the case of extreme situations (hard freeze, etc.). Some googling has turned up the term KVM-over-IP, but I was wondering if any of you guys have any trustworthy recommendations.

• lemmyvore@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Has pikvm ever been ported to PC architecture? Seems like it should be possible to get a PC server to act as a KVM switch if it has an HDMI capture card and an USB-C plug.

• zzzz@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

You’d also need GPIO pins to be able to do the remote “button presses”.

• lemmyvore@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

I’m mainly interested in streaming the video output and generating keyboard and mouse events.

• doeknius_gloek@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

You could look into mainboards with IPMI. They give you a web based interface to fully control your server, including power management, shell, sensor readings, etc.

• StrawberryPigtails@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

It’s probably not he solution you’re looking for, but I tend to put Proxmox on all of my hardware with TailScale installed on all my hosts, VMs and LXCs. So far I’ve only once had an issue where I couldn’t get into something. I borked the fstab on one of my Proxmox hosts.

More in line with what you may be looking for, there is a project called PiKVM. It probably won’t help if you’ve borked your whole network, but it might be of some use. It is what it says on the tin. It’s a KVM based around a Raspberry Pi.

• philpo@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Proxmox is amazingly stable,yeah. I basically proxmox and meshcentral for everything by now.

• IsoKiero@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Lantronix has a product called Spider, which (several years ago when I used one) works wonders. To the host side it looks like a standard monitor, keyboard, mouse and usb. I’m not quite sure if they still actively develop that, but at least the product page is still available. It’s not cheap, so it might not be what you’re looking for, but I was impressed on what it can do (since the company I worked back then too care of the invoice). It can’t do power cycle or hit reset button, but beyond that it was pretty close to IPMI and other remote server management solutions.

With my own wallet I’d look for piKVM, but it’s not really cheap either and I don’t have any personal experience with it. For power cycle there’s a ton of companies who manufacure wall-warts which you can control over wifi, APC and other big players included, and for home gamers nodeMCU and shelly are solid options if you’re familiar with electronics, but they can’t do KVM over IP, so it might require using different products to remotely accessing the host and for power management.

• Molecular0079@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Thanks! The piKVM does look very interesting, and its open source nature gives me more piece of mind too.

• tankplanker@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Another fan of pikvm, love mine. I have it plugged into a HDMI switcher so I can control four boxes from one pikvm. It does use some pins so if you wanted to control the power switches you have to do some extra work.

Worth considering if you want to get a UPS at the same time for the NAS, pikvm and any networking you have. Will all last longer with one to avoid random power cuts or surges.

If you need to access it remotely I would strongly suggest getting wireguard or some other reliable VPN setup rather than exposing the web interface to pikvm directly to the internet.

• Decronym@lemmy.decronym.xyzB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

Acronyms, initialisms, abbreviations, contractions, and other phrases which expand to something larger, that I’ve seen in this thread:

Fewer Letters More Letters
    IP Internet Protocol
    LXC Linux Containers
    NAS Network-Attached Storage
    VPN Virtual Private Network

4 acronyms in this thread; the most compressed thread commented on today has 10 acronyms.

[Thread #249 for this sub, first seen 28th Oct 2023, 23:05] [FAQ] [Full list] [Contact] [Source code]

• aodhsishaj@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Search eBay for AVOCENT 16 Port Digital KVM Over IP Switch DSR2020

New Avocent DSRIQ-USB for DSR1020 DSR2020 DSR8020 DSR1021 DSR2161 DSR4161

• tvcvt@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

This is the route I went as well. I have a couple MPU2016s at different sites. Like, u/aodhsishaj indicated, they’re pretty cheap on the used market; just bear in mind that you’ll need a module for each machine. I think this makes sense if you have multiple machines, but I’m not so sure mine can power cycle connected machines (as in with AHCI controls). I can, however, reboot from the command line and interact with BIOS, etc.