Hi everybody, my girlfriend showed me a Tiktok about manga authors adding unnecessary incest plotlines to their works and I thought immediately “They are from Monterrey” (we are from Mexico).

I remembered that the States have a similar joke about Alabama and I started wondering if other countries also have a state or city associated with people who are, for some unknown reason, attrated to their cousins.

Here in Mexico there even is a kind of saying for these people «A la prima se le arrima».

• Strayce@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

Tasmania for incest, north Queensland for rednecks, NT for weird fucked up “Florida Man” antics.

• boogetyboo@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Yeah I think you’ve got it right. But then what this suggests is the ridiculous idea that a very large proportion of the country is sucking on lead paint chips, fighting roos and fucking their sister. But we did have a vote recently that actually confirmed that, so… Maybe it’s not ridiculous

• Strayce@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I mean I’m just basing that off stereotypes. I’ve met some absolutely lovely north Queensland people, dated a Tasmanian for a while despite not being related, and I’m not completely convinced the NT even actually exists.