Hi all, my trusty (but honestly always pretty terrible) Amazon basics tripod finally died, does anyone have a tripod they’d recommend or brands they’d avoid?

Typical usage for me would be travelling/hiking and landscape photography so ideally small and light without breaking the bank (which I know is pretty tough). Budget is variable but call it £100-£200 for now.

• aard@kyu.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

More important than the tripod itself is probably the tripod head - you’ll want it stable, easy to adjust, and easy to obtain additional quick mount plates. If budget ends up being too tight buying a good head and a cheap tripod, and later replacing just the tripod might be a sensible option as well.

• Dunstabzugshaubitze@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

I use the aluminum version of the rollei c5i. Clocks in at roughly 1.6kg and should costs around 90€, but with your budget the c5i made from carbon would be an option, that weighs around 1.2kg

• juggling_collie@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I think leofoto are the cheapest cf tripods I’ve seen in a shop. Don’t be afraid to buy used either from places like lcegroup.

Remember you need to size the tripod to the camera. Film gear or a big dslr/lenses will want a heavier duty tripod.