• _danny@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

First I’m seeing it. That’s the thing with reposts, the venn diagram of people who have seen it, and of people who have not seen it is rarely a circle.

• GamingChairModel@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Yeah but the punchline literally was aged out of existence 10 years ago, when Apple stopped charging for OS (upgrade or otherwise).

• Lucidlethargy@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Lol, I mean sort of… They charge 2-3 times too much for their hardware (all of which is outdated save for some of their processors) and cut off any computer over three years old.

I’ve never in my entire life retired a computer after only three years. It’s so incredibly wasteful and greedy of them.

• cybercitizen4@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

MacOS Sonoma, released Fall 2023, is available on iMac Pro, released in 2017. That’s the oldest they support, but even the lower-tier MacBook Air and Mac Mini models are supported back to the 2018 models. That’s six and five years.

Fuck Apple and their greedy business tactics, but let’s not just spread false information either.

https://www.apple.com/macos/sonoma/

• Duamerthrax@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            8 months ago

Apple makes solid hardware that’s good for way longer then the software supports. Previously being a mac first user, I’ve taken to buying 10 year old macbook pros and putting linux on them for that reason.

• Tenthrow@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

I’ve got an iMac sitting on my desk I use as a secondary machine and monitor that is 14 years old. You wanna get nuts? Let’s get nuts.

• Duamerthrax@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                8 months ago

2006 MacPro. I should use it as a server, but between the 32bit firmware and that it’s a space heater that only supports 6 drives without adding a SAS card, I have better options.

• Ziglin@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

So you’re saying that I can get MacOS for free? I highly doubt that… Not that I would want it for more than playing around with it on an old phone…