The Chrome team says they’re not going to pursue Web Integrity but…

it is piloting a new Android WebView Media Integrity API that’s “narrowly scoped, and only targets WebViews embedded in apps.”

They say its because the team “heard your feedback.” I’m sure that’s true, and I can wildly speculate that all the current anti-trust attention was a factor too.

• Calavera@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Can you actually stop using chrome on android? Because every link I click it opens in their webview app which is chrome

• flamingarms@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Dunno if this is what you mean, but you can definitely set another browser as default. Any context menus will change too: “Open with Firefox”, or w/e you’re using.

• Calavera@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

No, I’m not talking about default browser but the WebView app. For example I’m using Voyager for Lemmy, and if I click on this post’s link it will open the website in the WebView, then I can click to Open with firefox.

But WebView itself is still chrome as you can see

• Possibly linux@lemmy.zip
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

You must be on stock android. I think you can still swap out the webview component but I forgot how

• aeharding@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

You can customize Voyager to open links in default browser not in-app: Settings -> General -> Open Links in

• aeharding@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

It’s only available if you are using the native app. The PWA doesn’t have that option due to web limitations unfortunately.

• flamingarms@feddit.uk
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Ohhhh I see. Yeah, I think Sync uses Chrome too. Sync has an option to always open links in external web browser, so that’s how I got around that.

• Trainguyrom@reddthat.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

It’s even crazier than that. On some versions of Android there is no webview, only chrome! I think that was around Android 8 or so they dropped webview then re-added webview in the next version

• dirtbiker509@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Yeah there is a setting and now when I click links it opens in Firefox. But if you use the Google search widget it still opens in chrome, which is to be expected I guess.

• Calavera@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

That’s not only a problem for google search, most apps uses webview to handle web links. They can do like Voyager and have a option to open the default browser instead, but most of them don’t bother with that.