cross-posted from: https://discuss.tchncs.de/post/5707453

The Chrome team says they’re not going to pursue Web Integrity but…

it is piloting a new Android WebView Media Integrity API that’s “narrowly scoped, and only targets WebViews embedded in apps.”

They say its because the team “heard your feedback.” I’m sure that’s true, and I can wildly speculate that all the current anti-trust attention was a factor too.

Many said we couldn’t stop it. We, like many, applied pressure, and they backed the fuck off.

We have no room for complacency now though. Google cannot be allowed to dictate web standards. Firefox needs to eat into that Chromium market share.

Never forgive. Never forget.

• deegeese@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Today “only WebViews embedded in apps”

Tomorrow “YouTube requires an app”

• schroedingerskoala@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

“When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.”

Nope, I do not believe one single word. They will just wait and try again BS wording it differently.

• xep@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Since Android Webview is Chromium, this reads to me like it’s making it into Chrome anyway.
    It’s behind some restrictions, but now that it’s deployed Google can

1. test it in live environments, making sure everything works
    2. more easily enable it for Chrome proper with fewer to no restrictions
      They’ll probably do this in the future using a staged rollout similar to what they did for Youtube and adblockers.

The fact that it’s making it into production means the only concession Google made was mostly lip service.

• Gargleblaster@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Chrome is feeling its numbers drop, so they’re backing off until people stop paying attention. Then they’ll go right ahead with the plan.

• Churbleyimyam@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

It seems to me that as more people are fighting or ditching them, google are having to be more and more desperate and controlling to maintain their position. Which in turn leads to yet more people getting fed up with them. I’m not sure they have anywhere else to go tbh. Alternatives to all of their ‘services’ are constantly becoming more viable and more visible, whilst they are becoming shitter and more hated.