• preasket@lemy.lol
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

I think people misunderstand what BlackRock does. It’s a proxy for other investors. Investors all around the world buy assets, produced by BlackRock and BlackRock routes that money into corresponding shares/bonds/real estate, etc.

• afraid_of_zombies@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

The word “Produced” is doing some heavy-lifting in that sentence. When I hear “produced” I think of a factory making stuff that has value or a farm producing food.

• Shardikprime@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

I create software. Its not farm work nor is it physical but I can assure you I produce deliverables.

• R0cket_M00se@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

produce /prə-doo͞s′, -dyoo͞s′, prō-/

intransitive verb To bring forth; yield. “a plant that produces pink flowers.” To create by physical or mental effort. “produce a tapestry; produce a poem.” To manufacture. “factories that produce cars and trucks.”

Sounds like the word fits just fine. The investment firm “brings forth” the investment opportunity that someone without financial advisors and millions to invest needs to get into real estate through eREITs. That opportunity wouldn’t exist without them providing the service of connecting investors with and managing funds for the investments.

I believe in the classic Homer Simpson line this covers the “services” portion of “money can be exchanged for goods and services.”

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

Nothing ever goes wrong with those.

You must never leave your house in case a meteor falls from the sky, of drive because car accidents have occurred. Right? If something can go wrong or has the potential to be abused we should just never do it.

Whenever people like you actually come up with an alternative solution to make large scale infrastructure projects happen without investors you let me know, until then stop dragging down the collective IQ of the thread.

• SolarMech@slrpnk.net
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

Right? If something can go wrong or has the potential to be abused we should just never do it.

I mean you could at least acknowledge that he meant the 2008 crisis, and not act like he’s a complete idiot. You should very much expect people to be wary of those after that.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                8 months ago

They never do. You got to understand the fuckers who got bailed out are simultaneously so brilliant they deserve salaries in the tens of millions but so foolish that they couldnt see the crash coming. The wave function collapses when observed by the SEC into a state of need bailout or need more regulations that benefit them.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

So freaken boring. Which are you? The welfare wall street type my tax dollars bailed out in 2008 or the welfare wall street type my tax dollars will bail out in the near future?

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                8 months ago

Neither, and you still haven’t answered the problem of how we get things done without someone or a group of people funding it.