How is reddit post protest, did it really win over protesters? Did the ones who left make a dent? Or like all things before, did it ultimately do nothing?

• quazar@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Reddit went from the 5th most visited website in the world to the 20th. That’s not nothing.

Lemme put on my tin foil hat for a second and say that this degrading of reddit was just in time for it to go public. It could only go up from here.

I can’t predict the future, but I think this whole federating thing is good. The internet and its traffic was too localized. The people don’t want to keep being sold.

Now if we could somehow get everyone that uses a site like this to actually PAY - say - $1 a YEAR, the internet would be better for it.

• hackitfast@lemmy.world
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I’m hoping this is the direction we go, and I think it will be, though if the Fediverse ever overtook private social media, I’m pretty certain the tech companies would lobby to regulate social media, try to regulate who’s allowed to host web servers, or lobby ISP’s to raise bandwidth costs for people who do host web servers.

• Mikina@programming.dev
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 year ago

Eh, I kinda hope that happens to be honest. I’ve finally got to the point where I just deeply refuse to use any of the large corporation stuff, and if they somehow kill community run social networks, then I’ll finally be free of my addiction that I don’t have the willpower to deal with as long as there’s an ok-enough tempting alternative . Which I know is selfish, but I’d probably help me a lot :D

• voluble@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Interesting. Maybe it’s my lack of imagination, but I don’t see how tech companies stamp us out by lobbying, or how web hosting and cloud services can be restricted based on use case. Seems like the genie is out of the bottle on this thing.

• Vex_Detrause@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I find myself not too creative with imagining what are they(corporations) gonna make money off. I like not know what Meta is planning with Threads or what’s next with tech companies. I just have the distrust and reminder to not underestimate corporate greed.

Your comments and other lemming comments tells me how corporate greed is gonna fuck us next.

• Salvo@aussie.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Back in the '90s, ISPs would provide subscribers with Email (POP3/SMTP) access, NNTP access and even basic web hosting of static pages. They also used to provide FTP mirrors of most large software repositories. This saved them wholesale bandwidth and also a faster connection for their users. Maybe modern independent ISPs can reimplement this Service for their subscribers. For instance (pun not intended) Telstra and iiNet (in Australia) could offer access to a Lemmy instance, or a consortium of independent ISPs could sponsor a regional Lemmy instance.

• 9point6@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

This is a really interesting point, because at least in the UK, we’re seeing a rise in regional ISPs again as companies rush to beat BT/Openreach to offering 1gbps fibre internet in areas they’re not yet prioritising.

I could completely see bundling a local-focussed set of fediverse services with the subscription to be a no brainer that people might actually get some decent value out of. Also would have the benefit of the services having a steady stream of income from the subscription fees.

• Thetimefarm@lemm.ee
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

The person who runs lemm.ee has a sponsor option on their github page. Idk if that’s standard practice, some pin the info at the top of their instance.

• Fract@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Didn’t they set server donation goals at one stage and the community of reddit were more than happy to contribute money?

• sndrtj@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

There was this bar for years that said how much more donations they needed per month.