• spiderman@ani.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

for me it’s just buying a game i always wanted to try but I can’t bring myself to play it after the first time. the same goes for my hobbies, the plans i make for anything.

• babyfarmer@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I bought a PS5 just to play the God of War sequel over a year ago.

I still haven’t played it beyond the first hour or so.

Or you make plans and you’re all excited and then the day comes and you’d rather do anything else.

• PeWu@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Damn, that hits too close to home. I can’t count how many things I’ve lost interest to, because… Yeah, why? I don’t know. I wish I would just look and do one, and only one, thing. Sadly, I can’t. I keep exploring games, finding something interesting, playing a little, getting bored of it, then searching again… It’s also with everything else: I find something interesting to do, then after I realize how little do I know about that thing, it discourages me. I think (?) I want to find something to keep me engaged.

Edit: grammar

• Kyrgizion@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

In periods out of mania this happens. Luckily the’re right there for me when the storms of serotonin and dopamine stabilize again. Eventually.

For a while.

• blindbunny@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

At that point that becomes my info dump to relate to people! I still 3d print just not obsessively! I ride a motorcycle or bike to work if I work late. I make friends keyboards and computers. I bleed people’s breaks and change their breakpads. My past special interests are my friends tools and my means to community and sense of belonging.

• milo128@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

thats good for you. do you have to force yourself to do those things or do they still interest you, just not as much as before? For me it feels like once the hyperfixation fades you couldnt pay me a million bucks to touch that hobby again in any capacity until the special interest comes back.

• blindbunny@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

Oddly if I do it for myself I have to force it. If I’m doing it for someone else it’s fun. Interesting one of my partners pick up one of my old hobbies and it’s rekindled my spark for luthier and wood working.

• Adori@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

For me, I have to keep working otherwise if i take a break i know my shit will fall apart, but atleast i got my favorite games to come back to once i do have the moment of free time.

• Ænima@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

I started noticing something about my gaming habits that directly correlates, I believe, with my ADHD and hobby abandonment. I primarily play single player games – I know, a neurodivergent that avoids multiplayer games, shocker – and as soon as I look into cheating at it using something like Cheat Engine to manipulate the number of in-game items available to me, I lose interest in playing it soon after.

Similarly, hobbies tend to fizzle out as soon as I buy the tools or templates to do it better. Woodworking was fun until I bought stuff to make a table saw jig and a bunch of tools to do it easier and nicer. 3D printing was my life until I bought a new, nicer printer and a bunch of accessories to print different filaments.

I recently bought and played “Amnesia: The Bunker” (amazing game, highly recommend if you’re into those games, even moreso now after the Halloween update). Because each ‘item’ in the game is individual and unstackable, I can’t cheat by finding and manipulating numbers such as ammo or crafting item amounts. I have to find them during playthrough and pray I can get what I need with some really brutal settings possible.

I’m on my 4th playthrough, with over 50 hours in about 2 weeks, and I am still enjoying it. Each playthrough is different. I like to randomize the custom difficulty settings (added in the aforementioned update) and not look at them so I have to discover the settings as I play. Sometimes, it’s a little easier, and other times it’s much, much harder! The randomness adds uniqueness to each playthrough and makes it feel like a new experience.

I’m trying to find a way to do the same thing with some of the hobbies I used to enjoy. If anyone has any ideas based on the above info, or personal observations of a similar nature in your life, let’s have a dialogue! I’m always interested in learning more about my mind, and the minds of other neurodivergents.

• tacosplease@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Man I always just get sucked into something else but miss the old hobbies too. There’s not enough time for all the interests.

• xkforce@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

You know, you can come back to it later. It doesnt have to be permanently thrown in the bin

• runner_g@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I’ve found that challenges keep me invested, both for hobbies and at work. Once I have a problem “solved” I become quickly disinterested. It seems that you have come to a similar conclusion.

So if you wanted to rekindle your interest in woodworking/3d printing find a new challenge. Do you know CAD? That may enough to draw you back in. Then set bigger and bigger challenges for yourself to tackle.

• Son_of_dad@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

A, he’s not a real person. Batman isn’t real, stop defending his honor and masculinity.

And B, the point is that him sobbing and yelling is so ridiculously out of character, that it doesn’t make sense. Not for him.