I had turned targeted ads off, on Facebook and Instagram. I still got ads but they were not targeted based on my data. I could live with that

Today I got a popup requiring me to pick an option of either accepting targeted ads or pay the equivalent of €13/$14 for an addfree experience across all meta platforms.

• Kir@feddit.it
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

I would happily pay (not for Facebook, but as a general consideration) if you would give me an ads free eperience AND stop gathering data from me.

• floofloof@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

I can think of a third option. Send me $20 and I’ll disclose the secret.

• Karna@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Option 3 : Delete your FB profile, and live peacefully ever after 😀

• mintyfrog@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

They don’t even try to claim they’ll stop collecting your data. No one actually cares about seeing a targeted vs non-targeted advertisement; the targeting technology is the issue.

Paying Facebook $14 a month and still being tracked, just invisibly, solves nobody’s problem.

• online@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Giving them payment information makes it even easier to track you too.

• Rearsays@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I choose option three.

To fully delete your Facebook account, you would need to go through Facebook’s account deletion process. I can guide you through the steps:

1. Click on the account menu down arrow at the top right of any Facebook page in your web browser.
    2. Select ‘Settings & Privacy’, then click ‘Settings’.
    3. Look for the ‘Your Facebook Information’ section.
    4. Click on ‘Deactivation and Deletion’.
    5. Choose ‘Permanently Delete Account’, then click ‘Continue to Account Deletion’.
    6. Follow the instructions to confirm the deletion.

Remember that once your account is deleted, it cannot be recovered. If you wish to keep the data, make sure to download a copy of your information before deleting your account.

If you’re logged in, you can directly go to the deletion page using this link: Delete My Account

Just copy and paste the URL into your web browser’s address bar. Note that you may need to log in to Facebook again to access this page.

• kungen@feddit.nu
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

The deletion isn’t automatic/immediate if I recall correctly? If you accidentally log in within 30 days, they cancel deletion automatically.

• moitoi@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

You should delete your account as mentioned here. The second step is creating a new account and pretending you’re under 18. It will be free without targeted ads.

Repeat the process periodically.

• Karna@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

To add more context to it -

Meta is actually trying to comply circumvent EU’s strict privacy policy.

Recently, The EU’s top court said in July that Meta must first get consent before showing ads to users - a ruling that jeopardises the company’s ability to make money by tailoring advertisements for individual users based on their online interests and digital activity.

Source: https://www.euronews.com/next/2023/10/03/meta-could-charge-facebook-and-instagram-users-in-eu-to-go-ad-free-to-comply-with-privacy-