Greetings fellow privacy enjoyers,

Short of blackout curtains or storm shutters what’s a good way to make sure the window is secured?

Thank me in advance

• alt@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

In terms of privacy, I believe Windows collects a ton of data even if all telemetry is disabled; granted this is an older article, so it might have changed since*.

Your best option is probably running Windows inside a qube in Qubes OS and ensuring that the qube doesn’t have direct access to internet. But, at that point, why not consider switching to Linux instead? Because, you’d have to run at least another qube (with either Linux or *BSD on it) to grab the files off the internet from in the first place.

EDIT: lol, I just noticed it said “window” in the post and not “Windows”. I thought the mentions of “blackout curtains” and “storm shutters” was OP either making a joke or some reference I didn’t get. LMFAO, I didn’t even notice the “Thank me in advance”. Guess I should probably go to sleep after this. Good shit-post OP!

• Vode An@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Thank you, sleep well and in the assuredness the bedroom window is secure.

• const_void@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

If it’s a sliding window you can put a bar in the track to keep it from being opened fully. If you need better security you can always put long screws through the framing.

• Vode An@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Security is handled by my friend Ron. I highly recommend SecuRon to anyone also in the Bay Area.

Useful advice, but I’m more concerned about the birds nest that might be watching me jerk off from a specific angle and I don’t want to cut down the tree.

• 𝕸𝖔𝖘𝖘@infosec.pub
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Security is different than privacy. You can have one without the other. You can use standard blinds for privacy. That’s enough. If you want security on your windows, you can use iron bars or bulletproof glass or something.

Silly post.

• OsrsNeedsF2P@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

I’m a big fan of Ameliorated, it lets you turn any existing Windows install to a custom one with this thing called “Playbooks”. Their “Revi OS Playbook” has privacy as a rated feature, and although I haven’t used it, Ameliorated has always worked great for me in the past

• RiderExMachina@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

You need a full 8.1 surround lock system. These can be pricey, but I recommend this one from EcoBee. They typically run around $1300 each, but they come with elastiglass replacement if your window breaks under their protection, which I think is worth it.

I’ve debated getting rid of windows entirely to remove the risk, but I think I have enough protections in place for now.

• meseek #2982@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

There isn’t one. You make the trade for your personal data. MS has bee siphoning for a long time and they are adding more daily.

You can’t “disable” telemetry but that’s snake oil. There is no disabling the data MS hoards and wants.

You can lock it inside an no-internet zone (whoever you want to do that, virtualization, etc.) but it’s still collecting and the moment a connection goes live, it’ll transmit all of it). Also an Os without internet is the real joke.

Run Linux. All the hoops you jump through trying to make Windows “private” is an exercise in futility.

And FWIW, MS has been ramping up telemetry as they keep pushing into “Windows as a Service.” So good luck with all that.

• Vode An@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Run Linux? House was built in 69, don’t know if it’s compatible with that smart house technology.

• Possibly linux@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Honestly blackout blinds will be fine but the real answer is to just to not do anything in your windows you don’t want seen. I personally want sunlight so for me its just a matter of making sure no one else is peering into my windows. Luckily that isn’t culturally accepted