My idea is this: I just want to send to a server like this a request from my domain name and username, but I don’t want to run a full instance. Is this technically possible?

• RustedSwitch@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I mean this in the kindest way possible, but it’s clear you have no idea how server-based software works, like at all.

These patient people are being angels to you.

This sort of software is a very intricate web of programs talking to other copies of itself. You can install your own copy of the program, but a copy of the program is 100% required, even if it’s just you using it.

• deejay4am@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Then you should understand why a server needs to exist to accept a post from you.

Unless you are saying “why can’t I send the API calls to Lemmy instances that cause a post from another domain to show up in one” and the answer is that posts aren’t pushed to other instances, they are pulled.

So you’d need to set up a listener that responds to requests for subscriptions and requests for post and comment updates and responds in kind when another instance that you wish to allow federation with) asks for updates and congratulations you’ve just re-invented the Lemmy server software.