Friend gave me access to his Adobe account (I’m never giving Adobe money again), and it looks like they don’t even support Firefox. That means I’m not using even the one remaining browser-based Adobe service that’s left.

Adobe forcing you to use Chrome instead of Firefox to use their service

• phx@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Honestly, I kinda hate the idea of a browser being able to access hardware devices.

• meseek #2982@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

That’s why no one outside Google wants it. Apple said no. Firefox said no. There’s a reason. WebRTC is shit. It leaks too much just for a small convenience.

And yeah, browsers don’t need my USB ports thanks.

This move was what hurt VIA as they moved to the API exclusively. So the only native apps are just electron wrappers 🤷‍♂️

Edit: Looks like Mozilla said yes after all heavy sigh: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/WebUSB_API

• meseek #2982@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            8 months ago

I know. Both have the same fundamental premise: to leak data that shouldn’t be leaked.

“WebUSB provides a way for these non-standardized USB device services to be exposed to the web. This means that hardware manufacturers will be able to provide a way for their device to be accessed from the web, without having to provide their own API.”

That’s from Mozilla. And that’s a hard pass. Why anyone wants this is beyond me. Just so long as there’s a flag to turn it off.

• ilinamorato@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              8 months ago

Have you worked with either before? They’re completely unrelated technologies, with similar names. They have nothing to do with one another. They’re not even being developed by the same groups. They emphatically do not have the same fundamental premise. I’ve built apps in WebRTC before, and I can guarantee it has nothing to do with WebUSB, and in fact I just confirmed in the docs that it has nothing to do with any sort of device-level hardware control.

To reiterate: the only connection between WebUSB and WebRTC is the fact that they’re named “Web” + three letter initialism.