Hi guys! For the past… ever, I’ve been putting my health and fitness aside. I tried a few times to get into the habit of exercising to no avail. I’m not overweight or anything but neither am I strong or flexible as I want to be. Mainly because I don’t want to have health troubles later in life. HOWEVER, to get started I needed to google of course and… best 10 xyz, do this, don’t do this, you breathe wrong, you stand wrong, you do everything wrong, this is the only solution. All of these can be found about anything related to fitness. How does one get started with all this nonsense, misinformation and clickable? What’s even real anymore? Thank you in advance :)

• Moonguide@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Oh, I wasn’t aware. I’ve been doing 3 days a week because of time constraints. So PPL isn’t good unless you’re on supplements? What other regiment would you recommend?

• Torvum@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

I’m talking about endogenous and exogenous hormones. Peptides, steroids, sarms and the like. But with training, recovery is always the most important factor for muscle growth with synthesis, so unless you have perfect conditions all the time (impossible for a natural) it’s better to optimize around recovery than being in the gym. Starting Strength is great for beginners like OP.

I’ve been doing a volume Bench Squat 5x5 Dead 1x5/intensity (start by doing heavy weight for sets of 5, when that’s too heavy do sets of 3, then down to 5 sets of 1, 3 sets of 1, a single max, then reset) 2 day split with one light day with band work to improve ligaments and neck work to avoid another herniated disc. I honestly consider this the best for naturals in both recovery and time, but with more exercises added in. I’m restricting to the main lifts for powerlifting competition, but adding accessories to focus more on triceps, or rack pulls, etc would be good. Since starting this a few months ago my squat has gone from a 1x5 315 squat to a 415 max and 325 5x5 as a 6’2 natural powerlifter (I’ve only been lifting seriously for 3 years and powerlifting for a year and a half, my trainer has been training for 15 years and hit a 610 deadlift naturally but now in his 30s with low 300 free test he takes TRT)

5x5s are great, Practical Programming is a good book to follow Starting Strength, I recommend reading Alex Leonidas’ Naturally Enhanced for a more hypertrophy approach. The Texas Program is good. Most of these are designed around the same concept of a 2 day full body one volume heavy the other intensity.

• Moonguide@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Hm, interesting. I’ll do some of that recommended reading, Practical Programming specifically. Honestly, I don’t do lifting for athleticism anymore. Lift heavy rock make sad voices go away, mostly. But if I can work smarter, I’ll do that.