Is this a bad habit that needs to be broken? Otherwise she won’t eat.

• Transient Punk@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

According to my vet cats that eat wet food need to be seen more often for teeth cleaning. And, it’s proportional to the amount of wet food they consume. Apparently the dry kibbles help to clean their teeth.

So if your cat prefers dry food, be thankful that it’ll cost you less to upkeep your pet’s dental health.

• nezbyte@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I was advised recently by my vet that male cats should be fed wet food once a day if possible. They are more prone to urinary obstruction which is common if they don’t get enough liquid in their diet. Bladder surgery for a cat is not fun for anyone involved.

Thanks for the tip on dental issues, I’ll be sure to keep an eye out for it.

• garbagebagel@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I was also told by my vet that wet food (even in small amounts) is huge in helping prevent kidney disease in cats as they stay better hydrated. I think a good mix is healthy, and of course, we should be paying attention to the ingredients of any food we give them.

• Anbalsilfer@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Regular dental checks are really important for cats, I"ve learned. They can stop eating completely due to deteriorating teeth and once the problem has reached that stage it’s quite difficult to reverse.

• Transient Punk@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

You should ask your vet to show your how to check your cat’s hydration level. It’s pretty easy to do, and give your a good idea on your cat’s overall health. You essentially just pull up on all the loose skin on your cat’s back and ensure it returns to normal relatively quickly. If it slows down they are dehydrated.

• nezbyte@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

My cat ended up needing the surgery and had to stay for a week with a catheter. One of the concerns was that he wouldn’t regain control of his bladder and we would have to assist for him to urinate. Luckily, he made a full recovery. We were fortunate that our primary vet was equipped to handle it because they charged us around $750 USD for the whole ordeal and I have no doubt the animal hospital would have been thousands.

We switched to a prescription dry food afterwards with the occasional wet food. 3 years later and he had stones forming again and intestinal lymphoma. That’s when he started on daily steroids and a primarily wet food diet based on the vets advice. We had to say goodbye a few months ago when it progressed too far. All that to say, do anything and everything to spoil them and keep them healthy.

• Altima NEO@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

Yeah, all my old cats developed kidney issues. We fed them all dry food. Now they have expensive kidney care prescription canned food.

With my new cats, I feed them dry food for breakfast, and a can of wet for dinner.

• Retrograde@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

We feed our girl a half scoop of dry in the morning and evening and a 3rd of a can of wet food every other evening and it seems to be going really well for her 😸

• Nacktmull@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Until she develops kidney problems, dry food is harmful for cats in the long run, ask a vet.

• Retrograde@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

I mean, I’m aware that it’s not the best food for pets. What do you suggest as an alternative? Do you home-make your pet food?

• Nacktmull@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

The standard alternative is readymade wet food from cans. There is also barfing (preping the food yourself, which is not that easy because cats need much more than just meat)

• A_Toasty_Strudel@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

I wouldn’t say it’s a bad habit necessarily, but I can see why you’d consider it an inconvenience. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with your kitty. Cleo just be a lil’ picky (as cats tend to be about food) is all.

• ZombiFrancis@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Cats tend to thrive when they eat their moisture. Most wet food is about 70% moisture which is about the same as the kind of prey cats would eat whole, like mice.

Your standard kibble is full of carbohydrates that cat saliva doesnt break down, so unless the cat is scraping their teeth effectively they’ll need some dental work eventually.

Turkey necks are great treats that help with teeth cleaning, since the cartilage can help scrape.

• rosymind@leminal.space
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Huh. I’ll try the turkey necks out. I feel bad for the turkey’s (we have some wild ones around where we live) but I love my cats more

• Cethin@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Don’t worry, the turkeys were going to be killed anyway. The necks are scrap. If a cat doesn’t eat it, it’s probably just waste.

• Blackmist@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I just sprinkle some dry food on the wet food when mine is being picky.

Sometimes cats just like crunch.

• fakeman_pretendname@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

I don’t think it’s a bad habit - they just have a preference for how they like their dinner, and probably not a hard one to satisfy.

I deliberately give mine a meat/biscuit mix, both from dietary recommendation and also it slows them down a bit - there’s three of them, and if given meat only, the quickest eater will scoff his in 5 seconds, then try and muscle in on his brother’s dinners. If mixed up, they’re all at their own bowls for a few minutes at least, before the inevitable swapping.

Maybe cut down on the treats, and save them for special bribery i.e. flea treatment, going to the vets, training etc.

• Altima NEO@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Wet food is good for cats though. Is there a particular reason you’re trying to avoid it?

Cats are pretty bad about drinking enough water. Supposedly in the wild, being from arid climates, they’d get their moisture from consuming raw meat from their kill, including the blood. Giving them wet food helps them get enough water in their diets along with less carbs and more protein over dry food.

I usually give my cats dry in the morning and wet in the evening. Mostly to save on money, because wet is expensive.

• Nacktmull@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

The veterinarians I asked all said the same, the least dry food the better and at best no dry food at all. Dry food promotes the development of kidney problems, which is one of the most common causes of death for cats. Evolution has optimized cats for living in desert/savanna environments, so they take in moisture through eating, not drinking and therefore a cat will never drink enough to balance out the loss of body moisture that is caused by digesting dry food.

• Stuka@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

I’ve had multiple cats live into their 20s on dry kibble. They’ll be fine.

• Nacktmull@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Sure, do as you please. I’ll keep passing on what several vets taught me though.