I swear I’d not seen the term “christofascism” until this year. It’s an apt term for all the talk about the new speaker of the house, rolling back of Roe v Wade, banning books and increased persecution of LGBT+ rights…

But if I was Christ I’d be pretty darn upset right now. I talk about love and tolerance and peace and you’re going to use my name to make shitty, power grabbing, political, oppressive moves? The fuckin audacity. I’d be flipping tables and calling out the hypocrites.

I know it’s a conversation as old as time. I also don’t believe Christian’s should be able to point at it and say “yeh but that’s not MY Jesus.” Doesn’t fucking matter, they’re identifying as a You so if You don’t do something about it then it’s as good as doin it yourself.

Sigh.

• TheImpressiveX@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

“If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?”

– 1 John 4:20 (King James Version)

• bionicjoey@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

I fucking hate the King James version so much. I grew up with NRSE and it’s like “why are you still using this archaic shit?”

Here’s the same passage in language normal people can understand:

Those who say, “I love God,” and hate a brother or sister are liars, for those who do not love a brother or sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen.

• neutron@thelemmy.club
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Generational thing, maybe? Plus conservative churches love holding onto archaic customs, like the old KJV translation.

• ThatWeirdGuy1001@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Honestly doesn’t make sense to me either way.

Of course I can love something I can’t see over something I can see. The reason I hate them is because I can see them.

• Maldivir Dragonwitch@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

That’s not the point he was trying to make. :)

It’s hard to make sense of it now, let alone two thousand years ago.

Here goes nothing:

God is in everything, so you cannot love God without loving each and every part of Him. It’s easy to love something you don’t experience in your everyday life – the true challenge is to love that which you do experience, like your “brothers” and “sisters”. If you have hate in yourself at all, you do not completely love God.

Makes sense now?

• Chakravanti@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

There are more edits to the new testament than there are letters. I just cannot consider any sense of any canonic status to entire set of make-shit-up books.

If it’s anything I guarentee it isn’t a prediction. It’s a fucking plan.