• lugal@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I learned in university that the first fish with 4 legs were fully aquatic. They developed them to walk on the ground of the ocean and later used them on land. That would make it a pre-adaptation. So the drawing has the evolutionary steps wrong. Would you agree on it? I’m just curious

• YaksDC@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

You should read up on the Tiktaalik. It is a relatively new discovery in 2008. It show that there was any evolutionary step.

• lugal@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

I think that’s what I meant. The legs weren’t as developed as I remembered them but neither were they an adaptation after going on land. So the image is right after all, I just underestimated the limbs in the picture and overestimated the limbs of the transitional creature I learned almost a decade ago (so still after 2008). Thanks!

• FuglyDuck@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

I’ve had it a few times. it’s… not something I’d go out of my way to eat. unless grandma was cooking it.

…you don’t want to know how much lard was used in that recipe. Which is why hers is so… amazing. funny how that works. fwiw, most of the lard was actually for the pan…but still it’d probably be enough to give your doctor a heart attack.

• trimmerfrost@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Life is difficult irrespective of species. Humans have the special ability to comprehend and cry over it