Served with air fryed brussel sprouts with garlic and parmesan, and super soft baked potatoes. It was delicious!

• Hyggyldy@sffa.community
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

I’ve never had it but based on the raw beef I feel like tartare is one of those foods that’s never just okay. It’d just be either terrible or great with little inbetween.

• Merwyn@sh.itjust.worksOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

You need to trust your butcher for sure. In restaurant I very rarely order exept if it’s their speciality. It takes time to prepare so in most restaurant it’s done beforehand and put in fridge, which is bad.

Homemade ones always taste delicious, but if you had a bad piece of meat you may have one or two “bad” days in the toilet after eating… It happened rarely to me.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Yes, I’m trying different things everytime but the one I converged to is:

For 2 person,

• 250gr meat
      • Half a shallot, diced as small as possible
      • 2 Garlic, crushed with salt
      • Handfull of toasted pine nuts
      • ~30gr truffle mozzarella, diced very small
      • Little bit of grated parmesan cheese
      • Fresh parsley
      • Olive oil
      • Salt, pepper

Cut the meat and mix everything in a very cold serving bowl. Then make two half sphere with hands to put in the plates, compress a little bit and then push the top with a big spoon to make a rounded “nest” for the egg yolk, add a pinch of salt in the egg. For the meat cut, i tried to translate from French but it’s not working well. The best is to ask your butcher.

The original recipe calls for more shallot and some pickles. But i find it’s too much “crunchy” vegetable and the additional taste distract from the meat taste.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

“haut de ronde” is the best I found so far. Usually “filet mignon” is recommended, but my butcher recommended me to try this one and I find it a little bit better than filet mignon. Because it’s a bit more fat

• Decoy321@lemmy.worldM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Congratulations on whatever you’re celebrating! The food certainly looks delicious!

• Archibald@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Beef tartare always reminds me of Mr bean. I’ve always been curious, how does it taste?

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

It’s a unique taste that is hard to describe. But it’s of course very savory, with a lot of unami. The dominant notes are usually from what you add to the meat and not the meat itself (here for exemple, shallot and toasted pine nuts were dominant). If you like rare steak, you can imagine the same but more prononced and without the seared part. Also, foe texture it’s very soft and easy to chew as it’s already cut in very small pieces.

• 𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒊𝒆𝒍@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

yeah i love it, it’s specialty here in Poland, often served at parties like weddings etc, also you can buy ready thing at grocery store here, it’s vacuum packed and stored in the fridge, haven’t heard about someone being ill after eating it, but it’s often a very lean cut, so not that tasty, also often it’s too thinly ground for my taste

i also like mett which is raw pork, popular here in Poland and in Germany it’s very tasty when garnished with onion, you can buy onion version in Polish Lidl too, while i like it, it’s a bit too stringy and gets between my teeth and i have to pull it out, but it’s the only downside, also my kids don’t like it and don’t appreciate me calling it a pig jam:D

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Ah I know it was popular in Germany too, but I didn’t know about Poland. In France it’s also popular and a lot of restaurant serving meat have that on the menu but it’s often disappointing in restaurant because it’s prepared in advance and not at the order.

I’m not sure if I would trust already made tartare from supermarket, but I guess they have very strict rules to follow so it should be fine. The picture you sent is indeed grounded very small. In france the specialty is to cut it by knife in small rectangle and not ground it. You have a better texture when you chew it.

• XTornado@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I recently got here in Spain one of those vacuum packaged ones of Wagyu and it was really nice.