Maybe this is unpopular but I’m getting tired of opening lemmy and having to scroll past the same post that I have viewed already, half of the posts on the front page are 2 or 3 days old.

• sunaurus@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

There is currently a bug in Lemmy 0.17.4 that causes post rank calculation to stop shortly after the server is restarted. It seems like lemmy.world is affected as well.

You can track this bug here: https://github.com/LemmyNet/lemmy/issues/3076

I pinged Ruud about this, he can restart the server for now for the ranks to refresh, but I am also working on investigating and fixing the root cause.

• lhx@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Yeah, the “active” sort also seems broken. I change to top with a day time period or hot. Works much better.

• stankmut@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Active works a lot like old forum posts. New comments makes a post more active. Hot is similar to Reddit, though posts do tend to stick at the top for longer than they should.

Edit: Turns out Hot is bugged and stops updating, requiring server restarts. Github issue tracking it.

• isdfoa@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

this explains a lot. on Hot and on Active I see posts with 0 interaction (basically sorting by new). on Top I just see old posts :(

• stankmut@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

There’s a second bug that causes new posts to show up on the top of the feed. That might be what you are seeing. I only see posts with 0 interaction when that happens. It’s annoying because right as you are about to click on a post, it’ll give shoved down the page as new content flows in.

Luckily, that is being fixed. I don’t know when the next release is going to happen, but I saw the code fixing it got merged in recently.

• Bardak@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah solution has been to sort by daily top. Not ideal but gets the job done. Really unfortunate timing to have a bug like that with the hot sorting.

• Mane25@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m finding it’s much better to sort posts by “hot” than “Active”, it seems to more heavily prioritise newer posts. I’d really like to make this my default but I can’t work out how to do it - does anyone know if that’s possible?

• BarrelAgedBoredom@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Hey there! Just wondering, is there a way to browse instances and communities outside of your home instance in jerboa? The search function is wonky. Not expecting you to have the answer but I’m hoping a user who happens to know might see this and point me in the right direction

• buckykat@lemmy.fmhy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Thank you, I was getting annoyed that those kept reverting to the defaults but didn’t think to look in profile settings.

• newproph@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

my go to method on reddit is sorting by subscribed and top day. this way if I’ve seen everything already I know I’ve probably spent too much time scrolling and should check out individual communities if I’m trying to kill more time.

• dystop@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I personally view this as a good thing for me (if unintended) - I’ve realised that I spent waaaay too much time on reddit, so I’m trying to cut down on my use of the platform.

I like lemmy, but I don’t want to spend all my time here either. The relatively low volume here makes me realise I should be doing other things.

That said, you can always join more communities - or better yet, contribute to them! Start your own posts!

• Rick@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I do but even on my subscribed front page all the posts are mostly ones I’ve already seen. It would be kind of cool if we could customize our own front page to control the age of posts that show up I feel

I’ll also add that not everyone feels that way and wats to give up their addiction and just want to see fresh content each day.

• TeaHands@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Other than playing with your default sort order, there’s also a setting to hide posts you’ve already read. It’s in your profile settings somewhere. I tried it and just found it confusing as heck but you might find it useful!

• dystop@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

oh yeah, that’s a valid opinion too. It works for me, but I know it doesn’t work for everyone.

My other point still stands though - you’re free to contribute yourself! :)

• Alpagu@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I turned off the show read in the account settings. I don’t see the articles I’m reading.

• XanXic@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

My issue with it is it is VERY literal. So like you can’t even see the posts in your post history because you’ve read them. So needs some work still lol.

• Buzz@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yep. On plebbit you were able to actively hide certain posts. I would like posts to remain available on communities I car about.

• Bardak@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Not ideal for me. I like to keep tabs on the conversation on post. I will often see a post that is making its way up the page with a few comments and will check back in as I am browsing when it has hundreds.

• MrJukes@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

My reddit goto was to mark as read as I scroll and then Boost had a “Clear all read” button I could press. It would only clear until I refreshed my feed then they would show up again until I hit the button again. It felt like a good balance.

• Ataraxia@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I just realized I never did this on reddit because I would check the post, reply to some comments and move on and never go back lol! I don’t think I want to do that here.

• Dr. Moose@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I like that the webui highlights new comments. It’s nice to get back to a good thread and see how it develops.

• azuth@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

That could work somewhat if it was an option on the actual feed next to subscribed/local/all and sort type.

• netwren@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Bingo this has made it tolerable for me. But I miss the swipe to hide feature from Reddit is Fun. That way I don’t actually have to click on the post if I don’t care about it.

• jcg@halubilo.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

You might wanna read up on the algorithm Lemmy uses. Specifically this part:

• Active uses the post votes, and latest comment time (limited to two days).
    • Hot uses the post votes, and the post published time.

If you’re sorting by Active, that means those posts you’re seeing are pretty, well, active even if they’re a couple days old.

• Zebov@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I sort by hot and have seen the same posts 3 days in a row. I’ve actually had to completely switch to new to see anything outside of the same posts I’ve seen for days.

• laxe@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Lemmy needs to make Hot the default. It’s a better experience for new users.

• griffen62@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Or better, Lemmy will let you choose the default, or remember your choices. Likewise, I typically browse all servers, annoying to have to switch from local to all each time.

• spherical@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

It seems like you can change both of these in your profile settings (Settings -> Type & Sort type). It still displays “Local” on the landing page but it actually shows All content.

• Slayer 🦊@lemmy.fmhy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Each client would have to implement it on it own. But marking posts as viewed when scrolled past and hiding them from showing up in the feed again would be a great optional feature

• eXoShini@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Right now you could turn off read post in settings and browse through All communities with sorting by Hot.

• hyazinthe@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I am a bit split. I too find it a bit annoying to scroll past 80% of the posts. On the other hand, sometimes I see that there are new comments (which lemmy shows) under a post about an interesting topic.

• liminal@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I think the UI, instead of just bringing the posts up without explanation, should show you how many new comments the post received. It would be great for keeping tabs on a discussion, too.

The Reddit Enhancement Suite stores a cookie that remembers the number of comments when you visited a post. It’s a killer feature.

A more modern UI example:

• BeliefPropagator
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I would not have understood the meaning of the +4 had i not seen the old UI first.

• Pat12@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

It seems like a lot of people complain about not seeing content but then don’t contribute any content themselves. Like, posts are old because there’s little new content, so maybe everyone can help contribute to communities. Content doesn’t miraculously appear.

• lukini@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

There’s plenty of new content if you sort by new. This isn’t a content issue; it’s a bug. But go off I guess.

• ravnswood@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

This. Almost all posts or comments are about “there is no new posts”. The fediverse must grown before one can view different posts in any lemmy instance. We need to create content, share our thoughts, pics, a link to some news or articles, or just ask a question.

• liminal@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Like, posts are old because there’s little new content

Yeah, but you could be underestimating the effect of the Active sorting bumping old posts, which leads to a few posts threads rising over and over. Perhaps there’s more eagerness to make new threads than you can see, because most of those new threads don’t spark the fire of discussion and get quickly buried.

Active sorting is more like 4chan, Hot sorting is like Reddit or HN.