link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

i was confused for way to long, trying to figure out
    why a pilot would investigate a github alternative.

im an idiot 😂😂😂

• beta_tester@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

I knew about codeberg but not forgejo

Codeberg is a public non-profit Forgejo instance hosted by the actual maintainers of the tool. They’re compromised with free software and provide their services with no pay walls other than a single limitaiton: only accepting open-source projects in their instance. That shouldn’t be a problem if you want to work on open-source, right?

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/forgejo-in-a-nutshell/2505867

• BOFH666@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Noticed someone mentioning this (the product ) last weekend and did a next-next-finish install on some old hardware.

This is really nice, got me some nice actions running already.

I used to build locally and use git, cgit and Trac, but will probably move everything to forgejo.

• dan@upvote.au
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Trac

That’s a name I haven’t heard in a looong time. I used to use a pre-1.0 version before GitHub became popular.

• Killing_Spark@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Hah hahaha hahahahaha

Our school systems are admined by teachers with only half a clue of what they are doing with only a few hours per week as a budget. This isn’t meant as an offense, math teachers that like to fiddle with computers in their free time are just not qualified to run the infrastructure for schools

Source: am the son of such a teacher in Germany

• Neshura@bookwormstory.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

afaik none of the current options offer fedi support.

Forgejo is a Fork of Gitea made because Gitea is managed by a For-Profit company. Their code is almost identical, in fact Forgejo is a drop-in replacement for Gitea. Gitea and Forgejo are (iirc) both working on the same federation support but Forgejo seems to be further ahead since they announced that they’ll upstream the Federation code to Gitea.

• dan@upvote.au
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

What does being federated mean in this case? Git is already distributed. Is it just for discovery, or do you mean for things like issues and discussions?

• onlinepersona@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

You’ll be able to (among other things) open a merge request from another instance. Gitlab and other source forges require you to create an account on each instance you want to contribute to.

• cerement@slrpnk.net
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

from a couple random comments, it sounds like the migration to Codeberg is relatively nice – if you want to do the interim step of getting out of GitHub and worry about personal instance at some later point …

• TCB13@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Well at least they’re going to usei something decent and not the Apache Allura crap.