Title is my question. It seems like refusing to recognize other state’s driver licenses would be blatantly unconstitutional. Is there something I’m missing?

• lhx@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Lawyer here; it’s almost certainly unconstitutional but it’s a political tactic used to garner votes from ultra-conservatives. It doesn’t have to win in court, it just has to make a splashy headline now, which his base will see, and then the base won’t see the court losses months later.

• TechyDad@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

So basically like all of DeSantis’ other initiatives. A flashy headline that shows the right that DeSantis is fighting against what they don’t like followed by a loss in court repealing the changes. After the court loss, DeSantis would either ignore the loss and still crow about what he did or rail against “liberal activist judges” (no matter who appointed the judges) and declare that he’d get rid of all the liberal judges if he had enough power.

• radix@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

If they win in court, it’s a legal victory, but if (when) they lose in court, it’s an even bigger cultural victory.

• zebs@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

the base won’t see the court losses months later

Or they will, and take it as further evidence of the establishment/dems/pedo cheesecake ring/Santos working against them.

• NABDad@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Thanks for the reply. I figured so, but I was confused that none of the articles I’ve seen point that out.

Modern AI journalism, I guess.

• HubertManne@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

As an attorney, how sure are you on this, when I read the list all of them had some sort of comment as part of the indentification that they are not intended to be used as identification. Now I don’t like desantis any more than any other sane person but feels like the states who issued the ids sorta opened it up to this.

• lhx@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

It’s really hard to predict the outcome of lawsuits interpreting the constitution; especially considering the current SCOTUS judges.

• wjrii@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

It likely violates the full faith and credit clause, the interstate commerce clause, and the supremacy clause (because it’s specifically targeting immigration status, a federal matter). That said, it will take time to work its way through the courts, and by then DeSantis will either have the nomination or have his ambitions shelved for 4 years or more. In any event, he gets what he wanted.