Wanted:

• large screen
  • good battery life
  • great camera
  • long device lifetime, i.e. repairability, software and security updates, swappable battery, …
  • enough RAM (8GB) and built-in storage (256GB)
  • SD card slot and 3.5mm won’t hurt (but we use wireless headphones all the time)

The competition are (from my POV):

• Samsung S23+ (or similar)
  • Motorola Edge 40 Pro (or similar)
  • Google Pixel 8 Pro

I ruled out all other vendors due to disappointing update promises. Motorola with 4 years security updates promised (out of which the first year has already passed if the model is not brand new) is the minimum.

All phones are stretching the budget; must be really good to justify the expense. Benchmark for “great” is better than the previous generation (S10).

• 𝘋𝘪𝘳𝘬@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

How do you justify this?

Based on the specs, the build quality (according to data sheets stating its plastic), and some of the features (especially the low-res screen) and the software and components (e.g. the outdated UFS, no WiFi 7, the old BT standard, the small battery, etc.)

• _edgeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

We live in different universe. You are not wrong, their are mid-tier phones that match the Fairphone specs, but low-res?

1224 x 2700 pixels (~459 ppi density)

Sounds pretty high-res to me and on-par with high-end phones. Wasn’t the first Retina display 200-something ppi? And that was good.

• 𝘋𝘪𝘳𝘬@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I read something about 1080p on the Fairphone. Mmmh, so the resolution is better, but still not for me.

I don’t say the device is bad, I just don’t consider it as a modern phone. If you want to support their idea, go for it. But for that price tag you can get better hardware.

• miss_brainfart@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

460ppi low-res? You got some proper eagle eyes, dang

Edit: Just saw your other comment, didn’t know you could bump down the resolution on a Pixel 7. But scaling down to 1080 on a 1440 display won’t look as good as native 1080, I reckon