• ohmyiv@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I thought circles was the best idea. I loved having a bit more control over posts. Unfortunately, only two of my friends used it, so it was worthless for me for the most part.

• qzdyd@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I enjoyed it as well. It was pretty cool. Then I became busy with other stuff and one day I heard the news that G+ would be shut down.

• figaro@lemdro.id
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

If only you stayed active on it, Google wouldn’t have shut it down.

Kidding lol. I used it too, it was pretty sweet. It felt like a mix of Twitter and Tumblr.

• Draconic NEO@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

It was a pretty cool platform but their biggest problem was making it invite only, therefore forcing it to be smaller than competing platforms. Invite only may work for Gmail but not for social media.

• SeaJ@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I also enjoyed Google+. I liked the app and the interface. The content was pretty good for a bit.

• dimlo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I don’t really know what is the problem with google+ except they are born in the wrong time where Facebook are still on the rise, instagram is new and trendy and Zuckerberg is not dreaming on metaverse

• Gazumbo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

One of the things that probably killed it was Google enforcing people to use their real names on there. Which of course affected also commenting on YouTube as well.

I quite liked Google+ overall. Would have been good to have a proper competitor to Facebook.

• malloc@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

What did you like about it? It was basic af from what I remember. It was a FB clone, at best.

• Gazumbo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

One of its plus points (no pun intended) was that it was the first social media platform to allow more granular control over who saw your posts. You could people to ‘circles’ and limit posts to which ever circles of friends you selected (if I’m remembering this correctly).

I think at that time on Facebook, you only had the option of Public, Friends or Private. It spurred Facebook on to introduce more granular control as well. So if nothing else, Google+ was good for that.