• 1eyepatch@lemmy.fmhy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I agree, as low spec owner when you upgrade, you are so used to being picky to save resources as much possible since you don’t have luxury to do any high end stuff. And finally when you upgrade the habit still stays. And I think that is a good thing but sometimes it won’t hurt to go full flashy mode with all RTX on just to brag once in a while😁.

• Flaky_Fish69@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

my first beowolf cluster, I built because I wanted to improve my pentium 486’s chances at doing well in some random FOSS benchmark (PiMark? it calculated pi… and you could ‘donate’ cpu runtime to help calculate more digits of pi.) It was cobbled out of my dad’s spare part’s rack.
      Should have seen my dad’s face when he realied why i built the beowolf… “You mean… you did this. FOR PI??”(“Okay, that’s actually cool.”)

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Hehe, that might actually have been more of the Uncle’s influence.

He’s the one that started me on the science fiction addiction- when I got into his (then-complete) collection on VHS. I found them and started. Binge watching them. Got to Trouble With tribbles when I was found out- and then it was my Uncle who was like “oh! That’s my favorite. Rewind it while I go make popcorn!”

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

“Beowulf Cluster” It’s mine first time learning about it, in my head I was like yeah with name like that I don’t expect anything less 🤭, Some macho dude shouting" I am Beowulf 🗡️💪, here eat some pie’s 🥧I made"🤣.

Jokes aside I think it is really cool you were able to achieve that with just some spare parts. It is a good feeling when you help to contribute something meaningful. Really impressive 👍.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

you have to understand, my dad’s a unix sysops guy. it was quite a lot of spare parts… (mostly machines older than my 486, which was also hand-me-down.)

Also, that imagery might be closer to reality…foam sword and all.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

It’s a pretty cool story, I can imagine being introduce to all sort of pc/electronics must have really foster your curiosity for computing.