• 𝘋𝘪𝘳𝘬@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I’d always go as minimal as possible to have the most resources available for things I want to run, not for things I have to run.

• 1eyepatch@lemmy.fmhy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I agree, as low spec owner when you upgrade, you are so used to being picky to save resources as much possible since you don’t have luxury to do any high end stuff. And finally when you upgrade the habit still stays. And I think that is a good thing but sometimes it won’t hurt to go full flashy mode with all RTX on just to brag once in a while😁.

• Flaky_Fish69@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

my first beowolf cluster, I built because I wanted to improve my pentium 486’s chances at doing well in some random FOSS benchmark (PiMark? it calculated pi… and you could ‘donate’ cpu runtime to help calculate more digits of pi.) It was cobbled out of my dad’s spare part’s rack.
        Should have seen my dad’s face when he realied why i built the beowolf… “You mean… you did this. FOR PI??”(“Okay, that’s actually cool.”)

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Hehe, that might actually have been more of the Uncle’s influence.

He’s the one that started me on the science fiction addiction- when I got into his (then-complete) collection on VHS. I found them and started. Binge watching them. Got to Trouble With tribbles when I was found out- and then it was my Uncle who was like “oh! That’s my favorite. Rewind it while I go make popcorn!”

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

“Beowulf Cluster” It’s mine first time learning about it, in my head I was like yeah with name like that I don’t expect anything less 🤭, Some macho dude shouting" I am Beowulf 🗡️💪, here eat some pie’s 🥧I made"🤣.

Jokes aside I think it is really cool you were able to achieve that with just some spare parts. It is a good feeling when you help to contribute something meaningful. Really impressive 👍.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

you have to understand, my dad’s a unix sysops guy. it was quite a lot of spare parts… (mostly machines older than my 486, which was also hand-me-down.)

Also, that imagery might be closer to reality…foam sword and all.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

It’s a pretty cool story, I can imagine being introduce to all sort of pc/electronics must have really foster your curiosity for computing.

• 640kb@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I can still remember running Windows 3.1 on my Windows 98 Pentium machine (booted into DOS 7.0). The sheer responsiveness… In a blink of an eye the system was ready, apps would open. The last time I felt this kind of responsive speed was running KolibriOS: http://www.kolibrios.org/en/

I’ve run plenty of low resource OSes/Distros on low-end hardware but… there’s nothing sweeter than running low resource OSes on high end hardware - it feels like the future (the way it was suppose to be).

• kbity@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Well, you’re paying for all that performance, might as well get as much out of it as possible. God knows Snaps or Windows 11 can sometimes drag even the best hardware down to a crawl.

• Ignotum@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Still cheaper, i use them for large volumes of data that isn’t read or written that often

• CanadaPlus@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

This will blow your mind, but datacenters still buy tapes. It’s just stupid cheap. In the future, chemical storage by DNA or something similar might play the same role for cold storage.

• Dohnakun@lemmy.fmhy.mlB
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

I don’t get why we research DNA as storage.

It is sensible as fuck, deteriorates quickly, is slow to write and read…

Only advantage it’s bio-compatibility

• CanadaPlus@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

The information density is insane, both volumetric and by mass.

I sort of agree, though. With current methods it seems like it would probably be just as easy to record information in a synthetic polymer.

• Lachy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

They’re great for a NAS, where the priority is high capacity and low cost, over high performance and high cost of SSDs for comparable capacity.

• zaph@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

HDD is still the superior way to store data compared to ssd’s. Ssd’s are great for accessing your data fast but for people who have a lot of data they don’t access regularly the reliability and price of an HDD is unbeatable.

• zbecker@mastodon.zbecker.cc
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

@Chev @produnis

As the other guy said, because they are way cheaper. I use them for media storage.

For 20tb of hard drive storage, you could expect to spend ~$400 (probably less these days), but the same price will get you a 5th that on ssds (maybe more these days)

If you are streaming video, hard drive read speeds are good enough.

• iks@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Last time I booted tinycore was on my Compaq TC1000 with the quantum cpu transmeta crusoe 👌

• Dodecahedron December@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

So what I am hearing is that I need to start buying server and not desktop motherboards.

128GB isn’t that much when running multiple VMs with PCIe passthrough and docker apps in the background, but its all my little asus x399 board can handle… or any x399 board it seems.

• confusedbytheBasics@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

For my own projects I buy whatever Supermirco platform the data center manager has a volume discount for or I find used Dell equipment from third party sellers or ebay.

At work we rent by the month based on needs and availability. I never know the brand, just the specs. Lately AMD based servers have been more competitive.