It’s incredible how much the prices have fallen and that’s how it should be. Sure, I bought the 960 close to launch but still the difference is staggering.

The 960 Evo still chugs along albeit it’s a new one because a few months after I bought it, I had to RMA it. I guess that’s what happens when you are an early adopter. I lost a few hours of work when the original 960 Evo decided to stop working but it also taught me to be more paranoia with backups.

• jafo@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

You young fellas sit back, I’mma tell you about the time in '96 that I bought a 1GB hard drive for a thousand doll-hairs. And then later that year got 64MB of RAM for another thousand doll-hairs, and the next month the price dropped in half. I could run two java programs AT THE SAME TIME!

• Stabbitha@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Our first family computer they offered to double the HDD space to 20mb for an extra $500. “You’ll never fill it up!” they claimed. My dad, being a practical guy, couldn’t figure out why he would want to pay extra for something he’d never use.

• squozenode@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

My dad got tired of struggling so he just told me the future proof a build.

He said “Max out everything” So I did.

128gb ddr4 ram, ryzen 5600 4.6ghz 12 core hyperthreaded CPU, nvidia 2080. (He wouldn’t let me get the 40x card)

• crystenn@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

curious why you would pair those specs with a mid-range cpu. wouldn’t it have made more sense to go with a ryzen 9 if you were maxing everything out?

• jballs@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

No joke though, in the 90s you could buy a HDD with a size advertised on the box and get it home to find that the drive was actually bigger than advertised. They were making advances so fast in the manufacturing that they literally didn’t have the time (or it wasn’t worth the cost) to keep up with updating the boxes.

• sylver_dragon@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

My father went a bit nuts and bought our first family computer some time around '85. It was an 8088 Turbo XT with a 10MB hard drive. It was something like a $3,000 computer (which would be similar to $8,500 today, with inflation). That hard drive was so big, we thought we’d never fill it. The biggest game we had at the time, Star Flight took up two 360KB floppies, and both my brother and I could each have our own copies on the hard drive, without worrying about space. It was amazing.

But, tech moves on and what was once “bleeding edge” becomes old hat. I’m pretty sure there are calculators which can emulate that entire 8088. And, 10MB is a rounding error on modern drives. I also have little doubt that, 40 years from now we’ll look back at 1TB hard drives and think “oh, how quaint”.

• colonelpanik@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I bought a Pentium 75 in 1995. It had a 1GB hdd and 16MB of ram with Windows 3.11 and 28.8k modem. It cost me $5000. In 1995 dollars that’s $9,977.92 which seems insane.

• VictorPrincipum@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

A blank CD-R is $10, but stores as much as 400 floppies!

But you also need to purchase a CD drive which is another $15 making it more expensive than a 128 GB SSD.

• radix@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

First time I built a computer (late '97), I had to settle for the 850MB HDD. The 1GB was just outside my budget.

• Twofacetony@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I got excited when we got a math-coprocessor for our 386 33MHz. I tried my hardest to get a sound blaster card so I didn’t have to use PC speaker to play games (namely TFX), but it was deemed too expensive for little reward.

• jafo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Your parents weren’t worried about the math co-processor doing all your homework for you? That was the GPT-387? :-)

• Twofacetony@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

I had typewriter classes back then!!! Homework came on “photocopies” from a handcranked machine that had a lot of rollers from memory. I have no idea what it was, but it was witchcraft!

Edit: I looked it up for curiosity sake, and the “witchcraft” machine might have been called a mimeograph.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I once was able to store everything I needed on a couple of 100 mb Zip disks. And amazingly they didn’t fail on me despite using them all the time.

• AnAngryAlpaca@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Well To be honest java is a slug, especially on old hardware. If you wanted speed you would use some c or Assembler program…

• jafo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I had been programming C for almost a decade at that time, and was tired of working so low level. I hoped Java would get me higher level, but it didn’t work out. Eventually ended up on Python, which was fairly light weight, fast enough, but a joy to program (unlike java).

• LostCause@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah, so whats up with that? I looked into getting a NAS and the thing itself is ok, but the HDD price is so out there it seems crazy to do.

• gravitas_deficiency@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Spinny drives are definitely going up in price. Recently did a NAS build (5x16tb in z1), and disks were the biggest cost by far. And then like a couple weeks after I pulled the trigger on the disks, I couldn’t find anything comparable that was anything close to what I paid - easily 20-30% more expensive at best. I’m very glad I bought them when I did!

If I had to guess, consumer-grade PCs are starting to shift to SSDs exclusively now that NVMe can be had dirt cheap for decent quality. I think huge old-school disks are basically being mostly relegated to data centers now, and even then, the demand isn’t what it was before (again, due to far cheaper SSDs across the board, even at the enterprise/DC tier). I would further hypothesize that the recent cliff-like price hike may have been due to retailers burning through available inventory, and now they’re dealing with major HDD manufacturers seriously scaling back production capacity.

• kamen@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Might be local price fluctuations or some issues with supplies. About 3 years ago I got a 14 TB HC530 for about 450 EUR; now there’s the 22 TB HC570 for about the same money and a 20 TB model for about 100 EUR less.

• kamen@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

$220 is definitely under the regular price for something like this; so you’ve caught some good prices, then saw the regular prices again later.

• Nick@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I remember I spent ~$330 on 8TB HDDs and now you can get 20 TB for around the same price.

• Björn Tantau@swg-empire.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

For over a decade I’ve been waiting for HDD prices to fall to 10 € per TB. Guess I’ll see that in SSDs first.

• Nahaelem@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yup, there’s a Linustech tip video about this. HDD prices have kinda been set in stone for a good while now

• sheepyowl@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Couldn’t find it within 5 minutes of searching - therefor I accounce that such a video does not exist

• max_adam@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

So, maybe HDD can hardly get any more cheaper as there is little to non room for improvement while SSD can get higher NAND transistors density.

• Greenskye@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Just since I’ve setup a plex server (about 8 years now) midrange sizes have gone from 4->16 TBs. Personally I think the bulk of the issue is that HDD customers switched from a mix of enterprise and personal, to nearly all enterprise. Companies really don’t care if a HDD is $200 or $500, so basically all high capacity drives are priced at B2B prices, not consumer

• JATtho@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Until you would have to replace a HDD: +23 hours of nerve racking RAID repair time for 10TB drive at 120MB/s Even with some advanced (like ZFS etc.) system you can’t go around the fact the HDDs are slow.

And when the HDD fails, you can’t read it. It’s toast. Some cheap non-volatile memory devices are like this too, but good ones go into read-only mode and you can at least attempt data recovery from them if no better option is left.

I’m liking that it is possible get cheap+good 1TB NVMe devices for less than 100€. The consumer SATA market for large SSDs (capacity over 1TB) is unfortunately quite dry. I need replacement for HDDs and even if the speed is capped by SATA bus it would be an massive improvement.

• Muddybulldog@mylemmy.win
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

That repair time is the bear. Particularly as so many consumer grade NAS device really don’t have the horsepower for it. System works great until you have to rebuild an array. When that time comes don’t plan on doing much of anything while it’s grinding for the next few days.

• ItsWizardTime@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This is how hardware should work! Overtime what was bleeding edge is now the norm and as such should be priced accordingly… Looking at you Nvidia

• LeberechtReinhold@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

nVidia GPUs:

970GTX was 329$ in 2014

1070GTX was 379$ in 2016

2070RTX was 499$ in 2018

3070RTX was 499$ in 2020

4070RTX is 599$ in 2023

Probably, the 5070 in 2025-6 will be 650-700.

• Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Then ya got the 8800GTX in 2006, with a MSRP at a cool FIVE HUNDRED NINETY NINE US DOLLARS, or 900USD in now-money.

Granted, that was an outlier at the time, but still!

I opted for 2x7900GT cards in SLI in my first self-built monster machine, for Crysis. 330USD each. That thing was a monster. Ran Crysis at 40-50FPS!

…bought an Athlon 64x2 4400+ for some 460USD… it dropped to like 200 just a month or so later when Intel’s Core series was a smash hit.

• DrManhattan@lemmy.design
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I bought the 8800GTX because it was the first DX10 compatible GPU available, and that thing was an amazing powerhouse. No need to fiddle with SLI profiles, just raw graphical power.

• LightDelaBlue@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

its hurt i pay back in time a gtx titan x … it was 1000€. for the top of the top. and today the top line is … way fuking more…

• Bobert@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

$109 for an 840 EVO 250 GB in November 2014. Still rocking it to this day. Was absolutely thrilled to get it then. People don’t fully grasp the paradigm shift that SSDs brought in terms of boot times. For practically the first time in personal computing the average user had a quantifiable metric to judge a PC’s speed. It’s arguably the largest leap in terms of technology advancement to speed advancement in PCs.

• squozenode@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Which is exactly why I dislike the fact that nvme happened.

The world had finally standardized on one physical size of hard drive, 2.5 inch sata. You could tell your technophobic aunt to just go buy one of these and it’ll work.

• Bobert@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I love nvme, personally. On the board is always better, and one screw is even easier than four. Because of nvme the only thing holding back SFF in the average use case is power supplies, and bricked cords are decent enough in the meantime.

• trust_yourself@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

My only gripe with the NVME screws is that they are board provided, and thus, if you lose it, it is a sad day, they are not standard, and I’ve got one board that doesn’t match up with anything.

• dangblingus@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Not only that, even though NVME is pretty standard these days, it’s a crapshoot whether or not the mobo you buy will even come with the standoff/screws. One of the biggest rollout fails in modern tech history.

• dtrain@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I, for one, am happy that technological innovation isn’t tethered to Auntie Agnes ability to comprehend.

• Capt. Wolf@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’ll be making the leap to SSD in the near future. I picked up a couple m.2s a couple months ago and just haven’t gotten around to adding them. Well, turns out it’ll just be one because adding the second nukes all but 2 of my SATA ports and my 4x pcie apparently… At least the second one won’t go to waste in my laptop.

• ramblechat@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I had a 2010 Macbook Pro that I was about to throw away a couple of years ago because it was unusable - beach ball of death constantly. I bought a 500GB SSD for around $70 AUD, went on YouTube and about an hour later booted up; it was like a new laptop. I eventually chucked it earlier this year because the battery had it and I didn’t want to spend any more on it.

• snowfalldreamland@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Just today I was wondering why I only have a 500GB sata ssd in my Laptop and then I realized that I bought it in 2018 and the price difference was just not worth it at the time. Nowadays it feels like one might as well get a 2TB nvme. If prices keep falling like this soon a 4x4TB nvme NAS will be positively cheap!

• oshu@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

My first job was in a computer store in 1994 and a 4MB stick of RAM for a PC was $140.

• mr_yuk@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It’s about time. SSD prices stagnated for years!

Here are my purchases over the past years:

• 2015 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA - $164
    • 2016 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB M.2 SATA - $168
    • 2016 - Samsung 850 EVO 1TB M.2 SATA - $262
    • 2017 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA - $198 ($30 more than 2 yrs prior)
    • 2019 - Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA - $160 (finally a decent price on 1TB even though it was SATA)
    • 2020 - Samsung 870 EVO+ 2TB NVME - $270
    • 2022 - Samsung 870 EVO+ 2TB NVME - $204
    • 2022 - Samsung 870 EVO 4TB SATA - $396

Today the Samsung 970 EVO+ NVME 2TB is $109. The 870 EVO 4TB SATA is $170. Each about half the price as one year ago.

• DrManhattan@lemmy.design
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It’s amazing seeing 2TB M.2 NVME drives being sold for less than what I bought my original 120GB SATA SSD for.

• Trapping5341@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

as the recent proud owner of a 1TB and a 2TB NVME drive I agree whole heartedly.

December 27, 2013 I bought a 250GB 840 EVO for $179.12 December 2, 2022 I bought a 2TB 970 EVO NVME for $166.41 December 5, 2022 I bought a 1TB 970 EVO NVME for $89.99

It’s bonkers and its makes my computer happy.

• Cotillion@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I bought 4TB Crucial ssd, MX500 for 87€, brand new. It was on huge sale. And 2y ago i paid almost 60€ for 512 gb same model… so yeah

• Endorkend@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

You should note that the 960 is the one where Samsung got caught swapping in sub par bad performance parts into the same name. That’s part why it got THAT cheap rather than it being a natural evolution.

• Steeve@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s only deflated because our storage needs have vastly inflated! This is like 6 AAA games and maybe a couple movies

• LetMeEatCake@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

How many AAA games do you keep installed at the same time? I max out at maybe three, personally. Realistically I’d be more than content with just two: current game + next game.

• rambos@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Good to see the prices are going down when everything else is getting crazzy expensive.

I bought some SSD in 2019 worth of 290$ and payed with 0.5 ethereum. That would be 900+$ today kekw

• deranjer@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Don’t worry guys, manufacturer’s are doing their best to cut supply to raise prices again. Gotta love them.