Other day I was listening to piso 21 – a Colombian music group – on my Ubuntu, and their Ubuntu album came to queue. Seeing this album cover inspired me to make this meme. hope you all like it.

there are a lot of orange, blue and, purple distros which I couldn’t include. so, sorry for that.

distro names:

1. red: edubuntu, armbian
  2. yellow: ubuntu kylin, linux lite, ubports, voyager
  3. bodhi linux, linux mint, ubuntu mate
  4. pop os, (I forgot this bird one), KDE neon, zorin os

image transcription:
cover image of piso 21’s ubuntu album, which has four singers in four quadrants. each quadrant has a coloured brush streak. from top clockwise: red, yellow, blue, green. superimposed on them are logos of various ubuntu-based distros/flavours, according to their colours.

• @lemmesayOP
      link
      English
      186 months ago

purple, for royal beings only.

• 🦄🦄🦄
    link
    fedilink
    246 months ago

This post doesn’t mention Arch. This is Arch erasure :(((

(I use arch btw)

• @larsloveslegos@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    126 months ago

I’ve always enjoyed regular Ubuntu but Linux Mint is a favorite. I’d install that before anything else. I’ve used both on my school laptops with great success. I’d use Linux as the default if it wasn’t for gaming, which is why school laptops (laptops owned by me, used for school) are the perfect use case.

• NightFantom
      link
      fedilink
      56 months ago

These days gaming on linux is pretty good, lots of games run better than on windows. Typically the only thing that doesn’t work (on release, often afterwards it gets fine) is (shitty) DRM/anticheat like denuvo.

• Mr. Satan
      link
      fedilink
      26 months ago

I’ve been running ubuntu and then pop_os for a couple of years now and honestly, I’m surprized how much stuff just works out of the box.
      There are times when I need to tinker with the OS to make one thing or another work properly, but proton DB is quite a good resource for that. And I like it so it’s not a big deal if I need to spend an hour messing around with the configurations.

link
        fedilink
        English
        26 months ago

I’m not as lucky when it comes to figuring out problems. I’ve had bad luck with pop_os, at least when I tried it a few years ago. I’m impressed with proton DB in how far it has come but I don’t have much experience with it.

• @lemmesayOP
      link
      English
      06 months ago

do you use windows for your gaming machine?
      i had to install it on a family laptop because of some apps that worked on windows only. I wanted to install a locked-down version of it and came across reviOS. it’s a stripped down version of windows with cruft removed. it was very very fast(almost comparable to my Debian machine). perhaps it’d be of interest to you if you’re into privacy. An alternative to that is winutil, which is basically a script to debloat windows.

link
        fedilink
        English
        26 months ago

I’ll have to look into those and experiment on VMs. Thanks for the info! I used to use Windows 10 LTSC and it worked great, but I wanted the Microsoft Store to experiment with ray tracing in Bedrock Edition of Minecraft as SEUS’s PTGI wasn’t free at the time. I use Windows 11, I’m familiar with debloating the OS since Windows 10 came out. Usually I use Spybot Anti-Beacon 1.6 and WinAero Tweaker. I then remove all the useless apps I can with a script :)

• @CraigeryTheKid@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    96 months ago

Pop! all the way for me. I think Mint was second, but something about Pop just felt so much more natural and smooth. And it had remote desktop option out of the box, whereas all the others I would have had to install something.

• Captain Aggravated
      link
      fedilink
      16 months ago

Man I’m the exact opposite. Cinnamon feels like I’m wearing a pair of soft cotton gloves, Pop!_OS’ flavor of Gnome feels like I’m wearing a pair of George Foreman grills.

• @stoy@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    6 months ago

On the desk/laptop, Ubuntu, I am just more used to that, though I supose I could try Fedora.

On a server, Debian all the way.

• setVeryLoud(true);
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      6 months ago

Ubuntu Server for me, much less finicky than Debian, more stable than Fedora.

I need my servers to just come up and go, and Ubuntu does that.

On a desktop, Fedora for me, because it’s semi-rolling.

• @stoy@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        16 months ago

I should have clarified, at work I have mainly build Ubuntu servers, a few CentOS thrown in here and there, but at home, if I need a generic Linux server, Debian all day.

• 💡dim
    link
    fedilink
    English
    36 months ago

Was Mint with KDE

Now Kubuntu since Mint discontinued their KDE flavour. (Yes you can install KDE but its a hassle to get everything seemless)

• @Pantherina@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      16 months ago

Metapackages are a blessing. But after using KDE for a longer time its interesting to set it up manually on Arch for example, or any random distro, where you dont use the metapackage. But didnt know it was so modular!