• R0cket_M00se
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    6 months ago

When I pulled the trigger on moving my old gaming laptop to Nobara Linux I was able to get ME1/2LE running at 60 FPS stable with an i7-7000 series and a 1050 GPU (1920x1080.)

That machine never got me stable performance running windows, ever. Even when those specs were reasonable 8 years ago.

• @merthyr1831@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    16 months ago

is there context as to why people are excited that a top-end gaming laptop capable of 4K gaming is playing a game from 16 years ago? …at 60fps?

• Reverse ModuleOP
      link
      English
      16 months ago

Yes, the driver is 6 months old. It can also run Overwatch 2 at 100+ FPS in some areas. For 6 months, that’s staggering performance.

• Reverse ModuleOP
      link
      English
      26 months ago

It only exposes Vulkan 1.0 which means only DXVK works and up to version 1.5.1, not later. Also, Rise of the Tomb Raider was extremely slow when I tried it so some major optimizations have to be done as well I think. Beyond that it’s perfectly usable.

• @umbrella@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        6 months ago

Thats way better than I expected, way sooner!

Will I have a bad time if I try switching my Ubuntu machine to it, is desktop use generally stable/usable/testable right now?

• Reverse ModuleOP
          link
          English
          26 months ago

The only way to properly use NVK now is Arch Linux or something based on it. Ubuntu doesn’t even remotely have the necessary packages yet. On Optimus (running with both GPUs -AMD and Nvidia - on) everything works splendidly desktop-wise yeah. On MUX (meaning running only on the Nvidia GPU on the laptop) nothing works properly, so be warned.