For me:

• Breath of the Wild: 400 hours in, have done only 50% of the game. But now that TotK is out, I’m not sure if I’ll ever complete BotW. Perhaps if I’m stuck on a deserted island with my Switch and have nothing better to do, I may pick it up again.

• Skyrim: Countless hours, never really done much of the main storyline, always get lost in modding and optimising the game. Own it on practically all platforms too. But one of these days, I’ll get to the main quest…

• Dangerous Dave: Been playing this DOS game on and off since 1990 but still haven’t managed to beat it. I always die around level 6/7, blasted sun keeps killing me.

• h3rm17@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Rimworld and Skyrim.

Skyrim, same reason as everyone, I’ve finished most guilds though (yeah, not you, Companions).

Rimworld I just can’t be arsed to work towards any of the endings, playing thematic colonies with mods is where it’s at for me.

• bundes_sheep@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Skyrim for the same reasons.

Satisfactory 1200+ hours, and I usually end up rethinking my setup around the time I get to Aluminum production and never stay to finish things. I much prefer the beginning and middle of the game. I’m weird, though, I do the one big base thing.

Quake I have no way knowing how many hours I played LAN Quake after work with coworkers. Started with the alpha release. Eventually I did Quake World. I’ve sunk a lot of hours into the single player game, too, but not nearly as many.

• Raineacha@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Does EVE online count? 1k+ hours, only dipped my toes into null sec a few times. Mostly spent in low sec blowing up expensive things.

• Sims@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Magic The Gathering. From the original mtg (with Shandelaar), to manalink3, and forge. Not sure if the game can easily be ‘finished’ tho, but it sticks…

• Dathknight@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Until last week it was BotW. Like my switch I bought it on the release day and had a blast. But somehow I never finished it, there were always some “only this one thing before I go beat the boss”. It took TotK to finally push me to finish it.

My second big game is Space Engineers. I currently sitting at around 2500h and still having fun, still having ideas. I’m just to easily entertained by “space ship go boom” But technically one can’t even finish the game, because of it’s sandbox nature.

• RiseAndShine@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Valheim. There is so much to do, explore and discover! I play VH either with friends or solo. We’ve never finished all bosses yet and are currently less active, but we often get very active in bursts of time. I can get lost for HOURS in this game, completely forgetting the time and world around me. Then I notice I’ve played for 6 hours straight and mostly gathered some wood and improved my house a bit. I never gets boring though.

Don’t Starve. I’ve spend a lot of time in this game and I think I’ve not even seen a quarter of all the content. I’ve never even defeated a boss.

• caterpillar_party@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Guild Wars 2. Granted it doesn’t really have a “finish” but that doesn’t stop be trying to complete more and more of it.

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Probably Europa Universalis 4. I’ve played dozens of campaigns, and clocked in hundreds of hours (>850), and I have yet to make it more than 2/3 of the way through the campaign time. I usually have a specific win condition I’m interested in (e.g. an achievement, or cool scenario), and once I hit it, I don’t bother continuing the campaign.

Other than that, I tend to bail on most RPGs around 50 hours in, so I’ve never finished any Elder Scrolls, Final Fantasy, etc despite starting numerous times. I feel like I bail when I get too powerful, need to grind because I’m not powerful enough, the story drags and I lose track of the main story line. I still keep starting them, but I almost never finish them.

• fishy 2.0 (he/him)@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Minecraft i beat the ender dragon plenty of times sure but a lot of my world i just get sidetracked with doing something else instead oh and hyper light drifter ive started playthroughs plenty of times but always leave them off around the first boss for whatever reason

• thegiddystitcher@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’ve been playing off and on for a decade and never even seen the ender dragon! I’m always too busy building cool bases and then just sitting in them like a hermit.

• wagesof@links.wageoffsite.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’ve been trying to beat XCom 2 for years but I always end up ragequitting when I lose three guys who miss multiple 90% shots in a row, while behind high cover.

I think most new games have a modified “perceived chance to hit” that makes an XCom 90 a 70 or something.

• Schlock@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Xcom actually fudges the hit chances in the players favor unless you play on highest difficulty. Then it is just true values.

• flibbertigibbet@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Anecdotally I can say what this guy is saying about Xcom 2 is correct. I just mentally shift the percentages down by about 20%. That said I never got past a certain level. There were some big enemies that no matter what I hit them with I couldn’t scratch them.

• Schlock@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Human brains are just fundamentally bad at handling probabilities. And Xcom can really punish you sometimes which just reinforces the intuition that it is unfair because you remember the negative events so much more clearly. Of course it is not the easiest game, but if you rely on luck in Xcom and don’t have a backup plan for everything, then you will have a bad time.

• Deebster@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I loved that (and Flashback) as a kid but always got stuck in the maze-ish bit under the water. Luckily, the 20th Anniversary Edition came on PS Plus so it gave me the push I needed to pick it up again.

I don’t think I finished Flashback either, I wonder if that’s also got a new version…

• makingStuffForFun@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Got stuck in the same spot. I eventually got through that I’m sure. I wonder if I finished flash back? I’m going to have to play it again now.

• Deebster@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

It looks like you can play Flashback (without emulators) nowadays; a quick search shows it available on Steam, Switch, PS4 disc. There’s also a sequel announced, but this doesn’t seem like the place to discuss it ;)

• makingStuffForFun@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I have purchased Another World again from GOG, so I legitimately own it (again). I’ve purchased it many times over the years. It runs just fine on linux, so all is happy here. Flashback, I’ll find another legal source. Always happy to pay, if fair priced and accessible.